1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school baller looking at Europe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jun 24, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hopefully not a D_B.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/2008-06-23-jennings-europe_N.htm

Arizona signee Brandon Jennings might skip college to become the first top-level U.S. player to jump from high school to play professional basketball in Europe.

Jennings, an All-USA TODAY point guard last season at Oak Hill (Mouth of Wilson, Va.), has signed a letter-of-intent to play at Arizona. He might look to play professionally in Europe because of issues about his academic eligibility as well as his disagreement with the NBA rule that makes a high school player wait at least a year after graduation before turning pro.

----

Honestly, let him give it a shot. Especially if he has trouble getting that proper SAT score.

Do I think he has any idea what he is getting himself into by living and playing in Europe? No.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This could work and work well, but only with a highly-disciplined, beyond-his-year-mature kid.

I don't know anything about this kid so I have no idea how he'll fare.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This could actually work very well. They really take care of the players in Europe.

I would argue that players would be better off going to Europe for a year than going to college for a year before jumping to the NBA.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

A year overseas> A year in Tuscon

5. Armchair_QB

UA Coeds/Hot European women

Push.

6. 93Devil

You are confusing Tucson with Tempe.

If this works for Jennings, then great.

But there are a lot of issues Jennings will have to overcome.

1. Homesickness

2. If he is lucky, he will be able to talk with half of his teammates and coaches.

3. If he is a mean streets kid (not saying he is, but if he was) how will he handle a country where there are no mean streets that resemble where he came from? I just keep thinking of Bunny Colvin taking those high schoolers to the steakhouse.

4. Will he adapt to the style of play?

5. Can he get a passport? I'm not saying he is a bad kid, but starting in February active state and local felony arrest warrants are a reason to deny a passport application. Would this stop others?

In my mind, just going to Europe is a lot more involved than some of these players think.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Good idea for the kid. Bad sign for the NBA, which has to get rid of this stupid one-year rule.

First problem for the NBA: I think more kids will take this option than signing in the NBADL. They'll probably make more money and so far the NBADL has been pretty much a death certificate for NBA careers. Has anyone coming out of the D-league made an impact in the NBA?

Second problem for the NBA: What if he, and others, go to Europe and find they really like it there? What about the guys who would be mid-level talents in the NBA, but find they're quite effective, popular and better paid in Europe? Will the Bruce Bowens or Derek Fisher type players start playing in Europe where they might be bigger stars, thus eroding the depth of talent in the NBA?

The NBA needs to get rid of the one-year rule pronto.

8. Armchair_QB

If a kid is good enough to step directly from HS to a professional team in Europe he's going to wind up in the NBA eventually. That's the ultimate goal and I don't see that changing.

9. 93Devil

I agree.

The NBA is the dream.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like the one-year rule. I don't think too many kids will be willing to go to Europe straight out of school.

He'll be playing against better competition than he would in college. He'll probably make a few hundred grand to play over there and the players who go overseas usually have nothing but positives to say when they're there since they're treated so well. They usually get them apartments and cars and pay for almost all of their expenses when they're over there...

Not a bad deal...

11. Armchair_QB

I believe there is also a limit on the number if "import" players a team can put on the court in the European leagues so that would limit the number of spots available for American players.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

While I agree, I can't help but think this experience would be good for the kid. I grew up around plenty of kids who spent a summer or longer overseas and it did wonders for them personally.

Draft saved Draft deleted