1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Athletic Associations question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, May 16, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

IIRC, private schools are separate in Tennessee.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

and the huge, huge majority of private schools are not particularly dominant or successful.

A few blatant recruiters, such as Detroit Country Day and about a dozen others which are recognizable to anybody in the state, are.

And, incidentally, many of the state's more dominant PUBLIC schools recruit their asses off, as well.

I'm tired of this fucking whine. Everybody does not get to win a state championship.

3. bueller

bueller Member

Unless it's changed in the last few years, Mississippi's are split. Can anyone confirm that?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, Texas AP might have it wrong. Tennessee and Mississippi are also split, which would make it five states that are split.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Illinois played straight up until a couple years ago. Now it's a 1.65 multiplier added to the privates with more than ... 450 students, I think.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Mississippi is definitely split and Tennessee is kind of split. Thanks for the help. I also discovered a great Web site:

http://www.ahsaa.org/state%20assoc%20web%20sites.html

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

First of all, private schools aren't even allowed to recruit in their current organization in Texas. And yes, they've busted schools for doing it in the past. And if they join the UIL, they have to follow UIL rules.

And let me ask you this: If private schools have all these incredible advantages, why aren't they powerhouses already? Why aren't they ``recruiting'' the best players and coaches and dominating Texas football? Why isn't the TAPPS winner considered the true state champion? Why do the private schools want to get in the UIL in the first place?

Hey, 40-something other states find a way to make it work. Why is it such an outrage in Texas for private schools to compete with the public schools?

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

All good points and since yesterday I have actually flipped on the issue and agree with you that private schools should be allowed in the UIL.
    As far as why the TAPPS winner isn't considered the state champion is because no one cares about the TAPPS champion.
    I also don't think that many private schools actually want to join the UIL.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, one more thing, about that ``no pass, no play'' rule. I wager the average public school has far more kids worried about that than the average private school. And that there is way more massaging of grades to keep kids eligible at public schools than at private schools.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wow, glad you've come around, Angola.

My question about TAPPS was simply that if the private school programs were really better than the public schools, the TAPPS title would be a big deal. The fact that no one cares about TAPPS illustrates my point.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What about the residency rules, though? Even if the private schools don't "recruit", they do have the ability to draw kids from a much larger radius than just their residential district and that is where the fairness becomes involved.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm not 100 percent sure of this, but I think UIL rules say kids who come from outside a school's designated attendance zone must sit out a year before they become eligible. There might be an exception to that if the kid starts high school at the school in question.

Some public school districts with more than one high school allow kids to go to any district high school they choose. A few years ago, the entire starting secondary of the traditional powerhouse team in one of the school districts around here consisted of kids who lived several miles away in the attendance zone of the district's perennial doormat.

The answer to all these questions is that private schools joining the UIL would have to follow UIL rules. If they don't want to, don't join. If they don't follow the rules, sanction them or toss them out.

Pretty simple, really.

Draft saved Draft deleted