1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Athletic Associations question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, May 16, 2007.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? So a dinky private school with an enrollment of 165 is supposed to play in 4A against schools with a minimum enrollment of 950?

Yeah, that's fair.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A dinky private school that can recruit and doesn't have to follow residency rules, no pass, no play rules or any of the other rules that UIL schools do? Yeah, I think that is fair.
    What isn't fair is for a "dinky" private school of 165 getting to play against other 1A and 2As which wouldn't stand a chance.
    Nothing amuses me more than when the private schools get their asses kicked in regular season football games.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

My bad. In my head, I always immediately think of that school as a public named after two guys named Bishop and McGuinness.

4. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Maryland does not allow publics and privates to compete in the same playoffs.

Delaware does.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks Jim. So that appears to answer which three states don't allow publics and privates to compete in the same playoffs: Texas, Virginia and Maryland.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that the private schools were forced to play up a couple of classifications. Is that right?

7. KP

KP Active Member

Doesn't the state association set the minimum grade requirement? If they want to join they'd have to abide by those rules - at least that's the way here.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

In Kansas, private and public are lumped together in classifications.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

In theory that is how it would work, but the no pass, no play rule is set by state law for public schools not the UIL as I understand it.

10. KP

KP Active Member

My bad, I thought you were saying St. DumbJocks was trying to join the state association.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Several states use a multiplier for private schools in figuring enrollment. Others, like Michigan, do not and play it straight up.

12. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

In New Hampshire they play together (except prep schools)

Draft saved Draft deleted