1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Athletic Associations question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, May 16, 2007.

  1. EStreetJoe

    EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

    In NJ, for most sports they parochial/private schools have their own division in the state tournament and wouldn't play the public schools until the tournament of champions. In the regular season, the parochials and publics play eachother all the time. http://www.njsiaa.org

    However there are some private schools that opt not to join the state athletic association. Most of these schools use post-graduates. So these schools have their own independent schools athletic association. Some of these private schools choose not to use post grads, but still opt out of the state athletic association. Others don't use post-grads and have dual membership in the state athletic association and the independent schools athletic association. By private schools, I'm referring to places like Blair Academy, the Lawrenceville School, Peddie School.
  2. Hustle

    Hustle Guest

    Maryland apparently doesn't either. Its association has a list of members, and there's not a DeMatha or a Riverdale Baptist among them.
  3. Hank_Scorpio

    Hank_Scorpio Active Member

    In Michigan, public and private play in the same state tournaments.
  4. slappy4428

    slappy4428 Active Member

    Minnesota has both in one
  5. Angola!

    Angola! Guest

    27 states down, just 23 to go.
    So, based on the response here is what I am understanding:
    States where private schools do not participate in state tournaments:

    States where private schools are allowed in state tournaments:
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
  6. jla74m

    jla74m Member

    There are about 800 high schools in Illinois. About 95% of them -- public and private -- belong to the Illinois High School Association. The other 5% are "Christian" schools that belong to some national association of christian schools.
  7. SportsGuyBCK

    SportsGuyBCK Active Member

    And Bishop McGuinness (two straight 1A girls basketball titles since rejoining the NCHSAA for the 2005-2006 school year) ...
  8. JBHawkEye

    JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

    Iowa allows private schools to play. Like Illinois, there are some "Christian" schools that aren't sanctioned.
  9. da man

    da man Well-Known Member

    According to a story on the AP wire concerning Texas' ongoing machinations, 47 of the 50 states allow private schools to compete with public schools for state championships.
  10. Angola!

    Angola! Guest

    Cool, thanks da man. The AP story I saw didn't have that info. I wonder which state is the third that doesn't allow it.
  11. Football_Bat

    Football_Bat Well-Known Member

    Add Arkansas to the "yes" list. I believe they use a 1.75 private-school enrollment multiplier for classification purposes.

    FWIW, there is a bill in the Texas House that would let small private schools join the UIL, but only at the 4A or 5A level. Sounds fair to me.
  12. Angola!

    Angola! Guest

    That bill is OK, but the other bill saying the private schools can play wherever their enrollment puts them is not fair.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page