1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Athletic Associations question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, May 16, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I searched the site and couldn't find anything about this and I am wondering if anyone can help me.
    How many High School athletic associations in the nation let private schools play with the public schools in state tournaments?
    I know Idaho does and I know Texas, for the most part, doesn't. Does anyone know where I can find this information?

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Here's Georgia:

With the GHSA, private schools can be in the organization, but if they are member of the GISA, they cannot play any of the public school member, including those private schools that are in the GHSA.

3. I haven't followed it very closely, but there was just a change in Oklahoma where privates are going to be allowed in with the publics now.
    There have always been a few exceptions (not sure why), but I think now it's anyone that wants into the OSSAA (the public side) is in.

4. Keystone

Keystone Member

As far as I know:

Pennsylvania -- yes. In fact, the the Philadelphia Catholic League is joining the PIAA in the near future. The rest of the state came aboard in 1970 after some lawsuits. Before that, Catholic schools had their own state championship.

Virginia -- no

North Carolina -- yes, but not many join the NCHSAA.

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

In florida they do.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

In N.C. they have the option, though Charlotte Catholic is the only one that has been successful.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Kentucky does, but the coaches are trying to change that. They voted once to split the public and private schools up for football, but that got overruled by either the KHSAA Board of COntrol or the state board of education.

If they try to do it for basketball, all hell will break loose. One-class basketball is sacred in the Bluegrass State. 250 schools, winner take all

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I believe all of New England does.

There are Catholic conferences in Massachusetts football, but the winner plays public schools in the playoff.

9. The best state tournament in the country, now that Indiana has gone to four classes and Illinois will be doing so shortly.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

In Alabama, many private schools are in the AHSAA.

11. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I believe private schools play in the South Carolina High School League. I know Bishop England in Charleston does.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Private can play public in Alaska

Draft saved Draft deleted