1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school athletes do the darnedest things

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Aloha, Ore., running back Thomas Tyner rushed for 644 yards and 10 touchdowns Friday. He's going to Oregon.

What's the craziest stat line you've seen, in person or otherwise, in any sport?

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game would have to be on the list...

Edited to correct Chamberlain's scoring total down from 110 to 100. Oops...

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think the kid's girlfriend is the statistician.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Especially if you saw those 10 extra points!

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

In a way I kind of wish I had been there for this one because I can't imagine how bad it was. Quite a few years back we had an 11-man football game that ended with the final score of 14-7.
    What makes that strange? Not a single touchdown was scored.
    I don't remember the details, but I still remember our call taker getting off the phone shaking his head and saying "You guys have to check this out."

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Kid broke the Ohio state record for FGs last night, longest being 41 yeards: http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2012/09/15/Genoa-s-Pickard-sets-state-record-with-6-FGs.html

It's tied for 4th most ever in a game (the record in 9)

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How did an Ohio high school team with Braxton Miller lose so badly?

8. spikechiquet

We find it funny as well. LOL

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Covered an 8-man game last year that ended 51-49, and of course the win wasn't sealed until a late-game INT. The other thing I remember is standing for about four hours straight and my pain was not eased until Sunday.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

To give a little background, two years ago we had a local who set the state single-season rushing record. His school played in the state's lowest division and in RI, the divisions are broken up both by talent and school size. He ended up playing D-II college ball, so he was clearly playing a different game than the rest of the league.
    One game he broke 200 yards in the first quarter on four or five carries. He popped off back-to-back 60-plus yarders to open the game, then had another long run called back before taking it to the house on the next play. The kid finished with over 300 for the game and didn't play the entire second half.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I was there.
    Both teams are Division IV (Ohio has six divisions, ranging from Division I for big schools to Division VI for small). Genoa won 58-7, and it could have been a LOT worse.
    Genoa is a very well-coached, well-organized, run-oriented team. Fostoria is a struggling program at best with a new coach.
    Before anyone asks the old 'Why was this scheduled?', it's a league game.
    It got to the point where the Genoa backs would break off a long run (usually untouched), step out of bounds inside the 10 and a snap or two later, the kicker came out.
    He missed from 35 and 39 yards, and the 40-yarder was a no-doubter that would have been good from much farther back. His coach said he's hit from 60 in practice.

12. spikechiquet

Yeah, this is the norm according to our ASE. His dad used to be the coach at Genoa. They always kick field goals once it becomes a blowout. I'm surprised it took this long for a kicker there to break a state record. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted