1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High Definition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDub, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Boom, those LCDs you're seeing are LCD projection. NDub is talking about straight LCD, which is very similar to plasma in technology (and which some say will provide a better large-screen picture when it becomes more common).
    And, for the record, plasma is not as expensive as it used to be, not really prone to image burn when dealing with regular TV viewing and very much worth it.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sam, the thing is, some of the default settings for color/sound/etc. aren't what's best for your viewing area. The pro will make it the best picture for where you are.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From Phil Mushnick's today:

Jets fans with high-def TVs had better hope extra hard for the Jets to stay in the hunt. CBS's HDTV gear goes only three NFL games deep. Fox's goes six . .

Explains why Jet game looked like crap on Sunday -

Makes sense though - CBS is skimping on camera investment

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

My 6-year-old RCA bit the dust in Jan. so I had to buy one on the fly and I got a $550 27-inch Samsung CRT Slimfit HDTV.
    It's heavy but Circuit City delivered it into the house, took the RCA out.
    Then I called DirecTV and they set me up with a HD box. Of course the morons who installed it used a S-Video cable instead of component so I had to correct them.
    Some observations: Discovery HD looks stunning, the others, better than SD, but not jaw dropping.
    I've read on a HDTV message board that DTV compresses them and that's why they look different, the board calls it HD Lite.
    I am POed at the NFL because they make DTV charge you an extra $100 a season for the NFL Superfan package to get the games in HD (I can't get my locals in HD). I'm already paying $200+ for the regular NFL Sunday Ticket, the HD games should be included.
    Even better, they had a free trial of the SF the first weekend. I found out when I got a card in the mail, the MONDAY after the first games.
    Thanks guys, appreciate it.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

patchs,

Use an HDMI cable instead of component cables. HDMI carries a true 720p digital, component carries a 480p/720i, not true HD. The HDMI cable will give you a sharper and more crisp picture.

DirecTV only offers Discovery HD and...I think HBO HD or ESPNHD in true 720p. All of the other HD channels from DirecTV are upconverted to 720p.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ndub - useful stuff - thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted