1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi Sandy!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Hurricane Sandy, that is, who was at 85 mph at the 8 pm advisory but appears to be strengthening rapidly. Could be a major hurricane before it slams into eastern Cuba later tonight.

Computer models are now indicating this could turn curve back into the Northeast coast either as a sub-tropical storm or a nor'easter this weekend or Monday, and some bloggers are using the words "Perfect Storm". Could be a total mess in a few days.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Some computer models have it making a direct hit on Connecticut, almost one year to the day when a freak nor'easter knocked out power to nearly a million people.

I actually went to a business meeting today where the head of the big utility talked about their lessons learned from last year-we'll see

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's looking more and more like the mid-Atlantic/Northeast is going to take an ass whooping with this one. Flooding on the coasts. Major snowfall in the mountains. I mean, MAJOR snow fall in the mountains. Things could get pretty wild in the coming days.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So we'll see. Hard to believe it could cause more damage than the freak snowstorm last Halloween weekend where we lost power for four days. But I suppose I could be wrong, unfortunately.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pretty late in the year for a major hurricane. Lived on the gulf coast for a long time and the latest one I can remember was the first week of October.

Blame global warming! (Unless, of course, we can find a way to blame Bush.)

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hurricanes suck, but they have given us some of best thread titles in SJ history. This one included.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The local forecaster said it was likely not going to be a hurricane, but its going to run into an arctic cold front and become a monster hybrid storm.

Last hurricane to have a direct impact here was Gloria back in 1985.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bravo on the thread title. Pure genius.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The season typically lasts till Nov. 30, so not really.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yes, really. Majors are pretty rare after Oct. 15, and when they happen it's usually where this one is, the northwest Caribbean. The Atlantic waters generally aren't warm enough to support them and by this point in the season, the upper-level winds preclude major development/maintenance in the Gulf, except for possibly the extreme southeast part (Wilma).

The latest major hurricane to hit the U.S., interestingly enough, was Oct. 25, 1921, in Tampa. This won't be a major if it hits the U.S. and probably won't be fully tropical, but will very likely be a massive pain in the ass. Does The Weather Channel break out the winter storm names for this?

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Hey smilin' strange
    You're lookin' happily deranged
    Could you settle to shoot me?
    Or have you picked your target yet?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/#

This is pretty damn cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted