1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heyman Was Also Bambozzeled by Mcnamee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not a good track record by SI baseball writers in digging into the Brian Mcnamee connection. In retrospect an amazing interview with Mcnamee.

McNamee breaks his silence
    McNamee had remained silent in the wake of the Times report, even as his name became dirt in the very circles in which he was previously admired as one of the best trainers going. But he said that with jobs being lost, opportunities drying up and a reputation built on years of hard work sinking like one of Clemens' split-fingered fastball, he decided to speak out. In two exclusive interviews recently with SI.com, McNamee stated several times that he is not involved in steroids, that he has not spoken with anyone from the U.S. attorney's office and that he was stunned to be in the report since he had very little interaction with Grimsley, who is under federal investigation for the use and possession of performance-enhancing drugs and is now out of baseball.

"No one's concerned about Brian McNamee or how it affects my life," he said. "They just want to use me to get to them [Clemens and Pettitte]. And I'm the one getting hit by the bus. I got hit, and I'm still standing there. And the bus has kept going."

Clemens and Pettitte issued denials the day after the Times story ran and then got on with their charmed lives. They are now considering whether to play next season, and if they do, they will make eight-figure salaries, just as they have for the preceding several years. Their current team, the Astros, stood by them, as you'd expect in a case of one report relying on an anonymous source. The Orioles also stood behind their three mentioned players -- Miguel Tejada, Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons.

But McNamee hasn't been as fortunate. He says Clemens and Pettitte pay him an average working wage and expenses, but not so much that he didn't have to do several other jobs to support a wife and three kids, one with diabetes. Now some of those jobs are disappearing, he says. His professorship at St. John's University, has been suspended and some of the deals he was working on with fitness facilities and nutritional companies dried up. A couple clients even backed away. "I get a lot of 'don't call us, we'll call you,'" McNamee said.

The rest:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/11/10/mcnamee.trainer/index.html

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The bottom line (so to speak): McNamee has been giving it to Clemens and Pettitte in the butt, and now it's his turn.

Draft saved Draft deleted