1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Tarheels? WTF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jun 28, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What the ...? NC offers license plate replacement

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Thanks to some text message-savvy grandchildren, North Carolina drivers whose license plates have the potentially offensive "WTF" letter combination can replace the tags for free.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Tuesday the state Division of Motor Vehicles has notified nearly 10,000 holders of license plates with the letter combination. Officials learned last year the common acronym stands for a vulgar phrase in e-mail and cell phone text messages.

But this week, the DMV officials got another surprise when they learned the same letters appeared on the agency's own Web site on a sample personalized plate.

"I can't believe it," DMV Commissioner Bill Gore said Monday when told about the online glitch. "Obviously, I didn't know it was there."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/ODD_LICENSE_PLATE_RECALL?SITE=MIDTF&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

WTF? It's "Tar Heels" not "Tarheels."

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Only in North Carolina ...

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

In this case, shouldn't it be Trhls? Trheelz?

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The dumbing down of human society continues.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, I remember Georgia offering replacements to people who had FAT as the first three letters on their tags.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I would love to have the WTF on my license plate. Why get rid of it?

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

FWIW, Tarheels is an accepted use for people from North Carolina. The NC-SC high school football game is the Sandlappers vs. Tarheels (one word).

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Those damned Sandlappers.

Draft saved Draft deleted