1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, Record Companies, This Isn't Helping...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Dec 31, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In the spirit of this thread, here are a couple websites where you can get music for free...

www.mininova.org

www.piratebay.org

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oh man, I'm going to prison.
    My nephew got an MP3 player for Christmas and I copied High School Musical to the computer, then moved the songs over to the player — a High School Musical-branded player.
    He was very concerned about the FBI warning, but I told him it was okay since it was personal use, a concept I started to explain, but at 8 my nephew didn't much care.
    I guess my concept of personal use was way off and I'm going to the big house.
    Great.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As stupid as RIAA's argument is in this particular case, it's probably a good idea to get this into court and have a showdown to decide the issue. The article made a great point: the industry needs to evolve with changing technology, plain and simple.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I really think that's short-term thinking disguised as long-term thinking, though.

Keep telling the world that they're all criminals, and, pretty soon, people aren't going to listen to you -- especially younger people who have never known anything other than copying their own music.

6. I just think of all those years I spent paying $15.99 for a new CD -- even though CDs cost as much as tapes to produce -- liked a couple of songs and then never heard it again. Now they're paying the price for their own greed. Boo-fucking-hoo! Bunch of greedy cocksucking donkeyfuckers.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I realize my logic is twisted, but here's how I'll play this one out:

-- I'm a criminal if I download music
    -- I'm a criminal if I spend $10 on a CD and then transfer it.

So, why not just save the $10 and go straight to download?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's pretty much what every kid in America would say.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You should be going to prison for having High School Musical.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I remember the record industry also said it was a crime to buy a CD, then sell it to a store that specializes in second-hand CDs, who then sell it for $5, with none of the money in that transactions going to the artist or record company.

That's despite the fact that if you buy an original painting or sculpture, then sell it, no one's going to threaten you with going to jail.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Exactly.

I guess I can now sue all these music companies for saying all these years that they had been selling me these discs.

If I had known they were $15 rentals, I never would have touched them.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It was his copy. I have some worry that his sexual orientation might be somewhat askew when he gets older, but I'm okay with that.
    Apparently because of the High School Musical every kid — boy or girl — is enthralled with musicals, the singing, the dancing.
    He's also really into basketball, soccer and football, along with the desire to go to dance class.

Draft saved Draft deleted