1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Peter What Do You Think Of Donovan Now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 5, 2009.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Please invite Layne, Graham, Baugh, Luckman and perhaps Van Brocklin to that party.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

OTOH Did Manning really have the defenses that McNabb had?

And yes, there is way too much selective memory about Elway prior to the introduction of a running game to the Broncos

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, in defense of King, that seventh loss didn't occur. ;) :)

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Montana was well on his way to the Hall of Fame before Jerry Rice came along. Until the Patriots traded for Moss, Brady played with receivers who were no better than what McNabb has had. Elway played most of his career with no running game and most of the time with receivers who really weren't much better than what McNabb has had.

You are correct about the perceptions of Elway before he played on two Super Bowl championship teams and McNabb right now. But Elway had gotten his team to the Super Bowl three times, not once, and did some amazing things in the process. The fact is Elway did get those two rings. McNabb still has time to do the same. If he doesn't get there, he doesn't belong on the same stage.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I don't know. When looking at Elways numbers, he didn't even stand out from Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly and others at the quarterback postion. He was very lucky to have Terrell Davis fall onto his lap, or we'd look at John no differently than how we now view Donovan.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Simply not true. For one, Jim Kelly is in the Hall.

Don't discount the difference between Elway's three pre-TD Super Bowl appearances to Donovan's one. Elway was looked at differently for many reasons. Just ask Browns and Chiefs fans for a few.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What Do You Think Of Donovan Now?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

True - kind of funny though as it leaves King a bit out to dry if The Eagles go deep into the playoffs.

His technique has been to butter up the QB's of the teams he thinks has a chance so he will get better access.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Where's your Moses Now?

I LOVE THAT

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

But in the big game, he was perceived to be a choker. I know he made for great theatre at the QB position back then, but he wasn't perceived to be a winner, and was considered a choker.

The right offensive piece in the puzzle to get him over the top finally fell his way late in his career in the form of TD.

I can't say the same help was ever sent McNabb's way outside of the mental midget receiver he played with for one year. Even that year, he quarterbacked the Eagles into the super bowl without the help of the village idiot who was recovering from a fractured ankle.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I think you are overestimating the choker label. He had vastly inferior teams in the three Super Bowls he lost. And he was actually seen as clutch outside of the Super Bowl. That you are comparing McNabb to Elway is almost as ridiculous as me arguing with you about it.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

"The only quarterback who is any good is Tom Brady because his team has won it more than once. All the rest of the quarterbacks are chokers, particularly those who have one or less rings...." \most of the geniuses on this board.

Draft saved Draft deleted