1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Kansas City - How's Herm Look Now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ThomsonONE, Sep 22, 2008.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Just remember, "You play to win the game!"

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

His stats stand on their own as among the best. But since he played for four or five teams, he won't ever be seen in that class.

Joe Montana, Steve Young and John Elway. Yeah, they were kinda good.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would be, too. Carl Peterson should have been fired years ago. No GM deserves a 20-year run in the NFL, especially when his team last won a playoff game in January 1994.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Don't forget Tampa Bay, which was in the AFC West for its first season.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Deal. Where do I sign?

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Agreed.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yeah, maybe KC can get a Kordell Stewart-type QB.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought that would be the response. Honestly, I'm not sure how Cowher would do if he had to handle both jobs. He was always very involved in personnel decisions in Pittsburgh, but there has been a good bit of debate how much credit he really deserved for their strong drafts.

I think having the coach also act as general manager is too much, but the Chiefs obviously have to do something.

nmmetsfan, I think Stewart was more of a failure in coaching than talent evaluation. The physical skills were there and he even had one decent season as a starting quarterback. But he regressed and it did take Cowher too long to realize it wasn't going to get any better.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Ugh, I remember the pin sticking out of his pinky and that big ol' banana cast ..... I get the squicks just thinking about it.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

How is this a plug for hiring the guy as the head coach/GM?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Who said I was plugging him for the job? I simply suggested that he might want both and the Chiefs may have to give him both to get him out of retirement. I don't like those arrangements. I think teams need a separate personnel guy.

But in Stewart's case, I don't think the trouble was bringing him in or giving him a shot as the team's quarterback. The physical ability was there and at times he showed promise. Cowher just gave him too many opportunities.

In other words, I think it was a coaching error, not a "GM" error. Overall, I think he did a hell of a job as the Steelers' coach, but that doesn't mean he was perfect.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The squicks? What, pray tell, is a squick?

Draft saved Draft deleted