1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, check out this MotoGP stuff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by James307, Jul 21, 2008.

1. James307

James307 Member

Reported on some unique stuff through the years, women's rugby in Sacramento (100 degrees) to cross country skiing nationals (minus 5 degrees) in Minnesota and all the mainstream sports, boxing to tennis, golf to hoops.

But just got back from the MotoGP event at Laguna Seca. It was my second year at the race, and I did a piece after hanging out in the garage and watching Colin Edwards, the veteran rider from Texas, try to get some fast qualifying laps. Amazing what goes into a guy "flying" around the track. There are about 15 crew members for each rider. It's like an operating room.

The sport, like other niche sports in the U.S., could be easy an target for some loudmouth columnist to just dismiss the whole thing as testosterone foolishness. There are only 20 guys on the circuit. It's way too loud and way too fast (150 mph-plus), and the bikes are way too expensive ($1 million-plus). Don't freakin' crash, either. It hurts to watch some guy skid or tumble along the track and end up in a heap.

But even as a pretty cynical 32-year veteran, it was a pretty cool event. Only two races in the U.S. on the 18-race circuit. Next U.S stop is in Indianapolis, Ind., in three weeks.

The riders are pretty relaxed guys, and the winner, Valentino Rossi, apparently "walks on water" in his native Italy. He's somewhere in the top-20 of the world's highest-paid athletes.

Cheers, James Raia
    www.theweeklydriver.com

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Rossi's a god in much of the world. Not bad on 4 wheels either -- he got an F1 test with Ferrari 3 years ago and was just 2.3 seconds off of Michael Schumacher's track record.

I'm not a big motorcycle racing guy, but MotoGP at Indy would be something to see.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

James, do you ever come on here and, you know, just post? Or do you always have to be pushing a website you're involved with?

4. James307

James307 Member

Didn't push a web site, just signed off with mine. You can do the same if you wish.
    Didn't link a story, either. Just told one, about something new that others may or may not know about. What's this issue? It's a forum. I have an opinion and so do you. Easy up, there partner.

Cheers, James

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There's a story, by you, as the first featured article on the site.

http://theweeklydriver.com/articles/1234/1/Audi-To-Hyundai-Toyota-To-Volkswagen-SUV-Market-Can-Learn-From-Restyled-Pontiac-Vibe/Page1.html

There are also numerous blog posts on the right sidebar, by you. But, of course, you're not pushing a website.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

BLOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted