1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Borat....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flip Wilson, Oct 31, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I can't begin to tell you how many times this has been said about me.

2. XXXX

XXXX Member

well, flip wilson, don't watch him. you obviously have never watched the ali g show and your judging him from watching two miutes on the david letterman show??????? please he is HILLARIOUS!!!!!!

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One of my biggest buzzkills in memory. About two years ago, this 24-26 year old woman I know had no idea who Yakov Smirnov was. It came up in conversation. I tried to explain, but how do you explain something like him to someone with only vague memories of the cold war and the 80s. It depressed the hell out of me.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Ali G interviewing NBA players and the NBA on TNT cast.
    I thought it was pretty funny.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

In 1980s, Ragu dated many of the young women. Now references to 1980s comedy date Ragu with many of the young women. What a country!

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's like Vegas, if it was run by Ned Flanders.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

High-Five!

Not to generalize or make a sweeping statement, but if you don't find Borat funny, you are a complete douche... :)

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Borat is hysterical, but what makes him funny is the character making unsuspecting Americans who have no idea it is a spoof look like douchebags. It works on the Ali G Show for that reason. But now he runs the risk of two things: 1) overexposure, and 2) turning into skit comedy. He's been all over the place promoting the movie, and it has all been skit/schtick-based stuff. i.e. -- John Stewart interviewing Borat in character. That isn't nearly as funny as Borat going door-to-door with some candidate for Congress in Mississippi and making everyone around him look foolish.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The "Throw the Jew down the Well" segment from Da Ali G Show is one of the funniest things I have ever seen...

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

This line from Time this week:

"Any normal person over 35 is going to find Borat horrifying."

Might explain some of the reactions here.

Mizzou is right - him being interviewed by Letterman or Jonathan Stewart isn't the same. But if someone finds that unfunny, makes up their mind and then can't be swayed, I can see how they wouldn't find Borat funny.

Otherwise, yeah, if someone doesn't think it's funny, you're a humorless douche.

The whole point is that people will patronize anybody they feel uncomfortable around. They just want to get out of the conversation, so they'll agree with somebody when he says, for example, that he wants to kill Jews. And also, they'll believe anything about a country other than the United States. Cohen will continue to thrive because he'll just think of new characters. Right now it's the hip-hop guy, the furiner and the gay guy. Next it'll probably be a handicapped person or something like that, and everyone will be once again wrongly offended.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Obviously, I'm not normal.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Guess this poster needs to start posting old news with Deep_Buttfuck...I just don't get the whole Borat phenomenon.

Draft saved Draft deleted