1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Arkanpigs fans.. this dope's for you...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 26, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Arkansas suspends starting DE

LITTLE ROCK (AP) -- Arkansas defensive end Marcus Harrison is suspended indefinitely after being arrested late Friday night on a felony drug charge and several misdemeanors.

A Fayetteville police report says an officer stopped Harrison, 23, just after 11 p.m. Friday night near his apartment. The officer reported a strong smell of marijuana coming from Harrison's car when he rolled his window down.

The officer asked Harrison to step out of the car. The police report says Harrison consented to a search and told the officer he had "just a pill" in a pocket of his cargo shorts. The officer reported finding a small plastic bag containing one blue Ecstasy pill.

The officer reported finding one partially smoked marijuana cigar under the front seat of the car and another unsmoked cigar. The police report shows both cigars tested positive for marijuana.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/08/25/harrison.arkansas.ap/index.html

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I loved the "marijuana cigar."

Hand rolled, I presume.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

How, exactly, does that constitute a felony? We live in a seriously fucked-up country if having a couple of blunts can land you more than a year in prison.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We live in a seriously fucked up country.

But it's probably the X carrying the felony weight, though it's Arkansas, so who really knows...

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Tonight's NORML meeting must've been a good one.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Was he busted with glow sticks and pacifiers too?

7. The "war" on drugs.
    In every way, including the viciously stupid, the trailer for the "war" on terror.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

cat used to play for the most overrated team in the country.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Actually, the "cigar" referenced in the thread/article is likely a store-bought cigar which was unpacked and then, repacked with grass.
    Sometimes the mixture will contain some of the actual cigar's tobacco, with the grass.
    The brand most often used for this concoction is "Black & Mild"
    I sold many of these multi-packs of cigars to athletes and non-athletes when I worked at a convenience store during college.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Well, the young man wouldn't be facing any time in any correctional institution had he made better choices. Like, you know, not having drugs on his person and in his system. Allegedly, of course.

And given that he was driving (speeding, too) and might have been impaired by the drugs, I find it difficult to muster any sympathy for him on any level.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hey, I'll have to try that.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I'm a big believer (being I was involved as part of the USCG in the "War on Drugs") that continued drug prohibition is the reason for all of the violence on our streets and overcrowding in our prisons.

However.....

The simple act of driving around with blunts out in the open and your car looking like Cheech and Chong with all the smoke smacks of sheer stupidity. What, do you think you're going to be able to pass even a cursory glance or sniff by a cop with your car reeking of whackey-tobackey smoke when you open the window? That guy is not exactly a mental giant, especially since he was speeding to boot!

On another note, it seems like half of all the college football stories on the wire is where some player arrested or suspended, usually over something just plain stupid. I think this qualifies. If you're a doper and get a scholarship to play football and knew that continued use of it could jeopardize your career, wouldn't you stop? From someone who is going to spend the rest of their life paying off student loans, a free education is a pretty damned good value.

Draft saved Draft deleted