1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heroes, Season 2: SPOILER ALERT

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 26, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Enough with the cheating with the healing blood already, dammit!

But I am glad Bennett isn't gone. Great character.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

Just watched it on the DVR.

Damn fine episode. Heroes continues to raise questions, answer them, then spawn new questions.

I thought West was a bad guy, somehow, but he seems to be clean. What kind of name is West anyway? How about Wes?

Glad HRG is still alive (even though they showed Claire tossing his ashes into the ocean for next week's preview).

And how hot is Kristen Bell?

It's too bad they've had to reshoot and kind of force this ending. It had (and still has) great potential to impress us, as Heroes always seems to do.

3. outofplace

I'm sure that wasn't really his ashes in the promo.

Let's see. A loved one scattering what she thinks are the ashes of seemingly-dead character, who she does not realize has been brought back to life. This one should sound familiar to Piotr Rasputin. The details are obscure enough that this one might not have been stolen from comics, but the theme and concept once again are semething we have seen.

Even though I keep seeing these familiar things, I love the way they pull it off. I do think we already saw one of the "compressions" of the season due to the strike last night. Bennett's death and resurrection would have worked much better if they could have at least waited a week to bring him back.

The comic book storyline I referred to was the death of Colossus in the X-Men comics. There was an entire issue with different characters mourning his passing, including his ex-girlfriend Kitty Pryde taking his ashes back to Russia to scatter them. It was beautifully done, as was his sudden return. The reader never knew he was alive until the moment Kitty found him.

Can't you already picture Claire's reunion with HRG? Wouldn't it have worked a lot better if they were surprising us along with her?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's one of the big problems with network TV these days. They no longer believe in true surprises for fear not enough people will be tuned in to see them. Instead, they blare headlines about the BIG TWIST! the SHOCKING ENDING! or the HUGE SURPRISE!, so much so, that you usually already have it figured out before it happens.

One of the greatest parts about the slap bet on 'How I Met Your Mother' was how in one episode, six weeks after they made the bet, Marshall pimp slapped Barney out of nowhere. The surprise of it is what made it so funny. Then they promo'd the slap bet for last night's episode, so, while it was still somewhat funny, it was thoroughly expected and not as effective.

Sorry for the rant.

5. outofplace

Understandable rant, though as I wrote on that show's thread, the promo of the slap was part of the gag. The whole show was about Barney's reactions knowing what was coming.

But in the case of Heroes, I really think that was a casualty of the strike. If they hadn't shown Noah Bennett for an episode or two, they could have created some doubt about his survival.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thoughts on last night's episode?

I liked it. Good ending, some good scenes, and I like how they're starting to set up arch-enemies for some of the main characters (like Hiro and Claire). And it seems like Sylar will be badass again if and when the rest of the season rolls around.
    It just seems like they might rush the season finale again. That would suck.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like how they don't have the good guys in white hats and the bad guys in black hats but it gets pretty confusing to try to tell who -- if anyone -- is good or at least doing the right thing.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

This season/story arc definitely feels two or three episodes too short. In retrospect, i bet they wish they cut down the twins' and niki's kid's story arcs.

9. outofplace

Damn strike. It really is showing that they cut down this arc to get it done before they ran out of episodes before the strike.

10. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I agree. These episodes feel like mid-season episodes, not end-of-season episodes. Damn strike indeed.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wish they had, too. I have zero interest in Mikah, Nikki/Jessica, or the cousin from New Orleans. They haven't done anything this season to involve them in the interesting plots and their current plots are boring as fuck. Mikah lost his dad's medal? Good god!!

And how dumb is the cousin? She hears the people who took Mikah's backpack come into the house so, instead of going back out on the upstairs porch and jumping down once they get inside, she leaves the bedroom she's in, goes to the hallway and hides in the recess in the ceiling? How did that make any sense?

Hopefully she's one of the two Heroes who falls next week, though I doubt it.

That said, who do we think dies? They set up a chance for it be Hiro or Peter (or Adam/Takezo Kensei), but I don't think it ends up being one of them. Hiro and Peter are too popular. I think we still have more to learn about Adam.

Could be Elle. I never got the impression she was going to be on the show for long, more of a recurrent guest star (too bad, too. She's easy on the eyes).

It won't be Nikki/Jessica. They wouldn't take away both of Mikah's parents so quickly and they won't kill him (too young ... the kid never dies). Could be the cousin, but she's been so little developed it would seem pointless and, again, I don't think they're taking any more away from Mikah.

Parkman would be a good candidate. He's been MIA and doesn't seem to have much left to accomplish this season. I'm thinking he stumbles in on Sylar, Maya and Molly, and Sylar cuts his head off, showing Maya his true self. Then the brother finds them and somehow stops Sylar (maybe his power is that he can counteract anyone's power, not just his sister's?).

I think Mama Petrelli is gone as well. She's served her purpose and she's one of only a couple remaining on that dwindling list of company founders (if not the last).

12. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I'm pretty sure Sylar stabbed the brother to death. Don't think he's coming back.

Draft saved Draft deleted