1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herm Edwards fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Asked to comment on those other two, I'd likely say the same thing.
    The franchise was on a high when Joe Montana got them deep into the playoffs.
    It's been pretty bad since then.
    And it shouldn't be.
    That team and Cleveland (though this Browns team is not the one I grew up with) should commit to win for their faithful fans.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Chiefs had a pretty good team in the late 1990s, even though they always seemed to lose earlier than they should in the playoffs.

Didn't the Chiefs win the division the first year Denver went on to win the Super Bowl?

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The Chiefs had the best record in the NFL in the 1990s -- and nothing to show for it.

That was the Shittenheimer era. Great defense, no offense.

Vermeil came along and built a hell of an offense, but at the expense of the defense. Still, it made for more exciting football, with Priest Homes and Tony Gonzalez setting records.

Herm came in and fucked everything up. Horrible clock management, playing not to lose. He probably cost the Chiefs more fans than any coach before him.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I stand corrected, the Montana years were good but Shottenheimer did better.
    Record shows after 1997 they were worse off, but still averaged at least a .500 finish.
    Much better than my Saints thru the years.
    Only in last two seasons have they not been competitive at all.
    Edwards deserved to get the axe.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yup. Chiefs won the West in 1997 courtesy of a Pete Stoyanovich 53-yard field goal. Amazing game :D

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They purposely screwed up the timing as a tribute to Herm's clock management.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why? With the way revenue sharing is in the NFL, there's far less incentive to win big. Not much extra money coming in compared to what you have to pay out the following year in contracts. Better to go 8-8 every year, the way Pete Rozelle always wanted it.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I had never seen a field goal kicked with such a low trajectory before that. The ball could not have been kicked more than 40 feet off the ground. That was an amazing game, and Neil Smith's reaction to the field goal was priceless.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yeah, Carl Peterson was an innocent bystander these last three years. Herm was bad but I don't think he cost any fans. Any time someone called in to a KC-area talk radio station and bitched about the Chiefs, it started with Carl Peterson.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It started with Carl and ended with Herm.

I'm not letting King Carl off. He's the moron that saw an aging offensive line and did nothing to replenish it before it got old and gray.

But Herm was the guy everyone booed every time there was a fucking screen pass on third-and-long.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That was probably Chan Gailey's call.

Draft saved Draft deleted