1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

here's what's in store for ichiro...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

how freakin' arbitrary. i value power more. would it be okay to declare anyone who doesn't slug at least .500 is a fraud or 'pedestrian?' you just can't blanket players like this. all .400 obp's are not created equal. is a guy with a .400 obp who runs like a cow a more effective player than one with an obp of .375 who runs like the wind? i just love these 'cutoffs.'...

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

coming from the 25 HR 100 RBI guy in comparing Konerko and Martinez. Was that not an Arbitrary cutoff?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

shockey, I believe you and Piotr are standing on opposite sides of what the Internets call a "sarchasm."

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

nope. not nearly the same. 25 homers, 100 rbi is a tangible standard. obp is an intangible, in that it's value changes from player-to-player, depending on a player's speed and the type of hitter he is.

a player with an obp of .400 who attains it by walking a lot who has no speed is unlikely to be as effective an offensive player as a .375 obp guy with speed who hits .325 but doesn't walk enough to satisfy some.

but working with hypothetical, theoretical, fictional 'players' is also unfair. no way around it, though, i suppose. i didn't categorize a player who DOESN'T hit my 'arbitrary' criteria for the hof as 'not worth a hill of beans' or insist it was inflexible. but 25 homers/100 rbi is a tangible standard. 25 homers is 25 homers. 100 rbi is 100 rbi. what is a .400 obp? guys with .380 obas (with more power or speed) are more valuable than .400 obp guys with little power/no speed. imo, anyway. i'm sure there is statistical evidence to the contrary; or it will somehow be created.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What a load that just was.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Fenway's rep as a hitter's park is overrated. Yeah, it's a hitter's park, but it's a light effect, not like Coors Field North. IIRC, Fenway increases batting average thanks to the wall, but decreases power, as sure HRs turn into singles and doubles. And while Safeco is a pitcher's park, the horrible, soul-sucking lineups the Mariners have fielded the past three years have probably skewed its total numbers and made it seem like more of a pitcher's park than it is.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks, bro! 8) just what i was going for! :D

by the way, i've lost track of what we were talking about. are you speaking up for the author of the ichiro piece or against him? just trying to be sure we're on opposite sides of this one. like i said, i've lost track. it happens. i'm old.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At the 1987 All-Star workout in Oakland, they did this contest before the HR derby where they put these targets out in the field and hitters were supposed to try to hit them. I think the first several hitters didn't even come close and then Boggs came up and just started hitting it over and over again. It was pretty amazing.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

by the way, if someone can find it, i think it was gammons who did an s.i. piece (in maybe the spring of '87???) with ted williams, boggs and mattingly all together just talking about the sweet science/art of hitting. it included them referring to times in which they fouled off or hit a ball with so much bat-speed they could smell the wood of the bat burning.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ichiro is a no doubt HOF'er.

Sure he's had a slight decline this year but that's kicking the guy down when he's down. He'll probably come back with 200 hits at .300 at year end with his stellar defense.

The guy hit .372 with 262 hits? Most guys will say the less official ABs you have, the better chance you have of hitting for a high BA. Ichiro has shown that he's a great hitter by "taking the risk" and hitting rather than working the walk. His situational hitting has been pretty darn good as well.

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

shock, I like you. So let me just say it this way.

Please stop. By the gods, just stop.

12. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

The speed argument I can get. A bit overrated, imo, but I can get why someone would make it.

For the record, though, Ichiro has advanced at least one extra base on 41% of hits when he's on base in his career. The AL average in that time is 40%. So it's not as if he's grabbing bases left and right out there. He takes the bases that everyone takes, for the most part, and maybe a couple of extra ones per year.

But that's a digression from my main point, which is this: Why would type of hitter change how valuable an player's OBP is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.