1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's hoping we can discuss the Obama budget

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Feb 15, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's also a legalized pyramid scheme that, because of the Baby Boomer surge and greatly increased life expectancies since it was enacted, will soon have more people at the top than at the bottom. I hope you get all your money. In my retirement planning, however, my wife and I assume we will never see it, and if we do it's going to be a nice happy surprise that will let us live well in our golden years.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So if you live long enough to collect $200,000, what happens the next month after that?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

And if the bastards in Washingtonn hadn't been borrowing from Social Security for years, the system would be much more capable of meeting its obligations.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Then the bastards can start paying the freaking interest they owe.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, it isn't your fucking money anymore. The money you handed over was given to other people long ago.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, Ragu, a big chunk of it was "borrowed" by the Federal goverrnment to fund other programs

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Michael whatever you may think about Simpson you can't argue with his premise- unless you attack the big 4 nothing will change.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

A couple things about the deficit:

http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/

1) Revenue from 2007 to 2009 declined by roughly 1.5 trillion dollars, as a result of the recession. This point is rarely brought up when one is attempting to blame the current deficit on Obama.

2) If congress cut every single dollar from every single program except defense, medicare, medicaid, social security and interest on the debt, we'd still be running a deficit.

So until politicians are willing to discuss cutting these things .... ehhh ....

2) If you cut every single dollar out of the budget outside of medicare, medicaid, defense, social security and interest on the debt, there would still be a budget deficit. So i

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

It's also a regressive tax system. Simply changing the way SS is calculated and collected would ensure its viability (assuming politicians ever learn to leave it alone) for generations to come.

As I've said before: 2010 was the first time in its history that SS paid more than it collected. It is not "broken." It is a system in need of minor change to ensure its long-term viability.

EDIT: "Paid more than it collected" meaning the system itself. As spnited et al have said, politicians have been raping Social Security for decades to pay for other programs.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nobody under 55 will ever see a dime.

At some point it will be decided the SS fund must be poured into the general fund to eliminate deficits, maintain the current tax structure and guarantee the stability of major financial institutions. Then government services will be scaled down to accommodate the new revenue levels.

So basically all that money will be gone in a snap.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One of almost forgotten but one of the great lasting legacies of Daniel Patrick Moyihan was arranging for all paying into Social Security to receive annual statement of what they have paid in.

You don't hear about it much now but be assured if the government tries to take away anything we are entitled to that annual statement will come to the forefront.

To me that statement is a contract that locks the Government in.

Moynihan was a great visionary who is clearly missed in Washington.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They're just going to declare "national bankruptcy," walk away from those statements and say, "no more money."

Draft saved Draft deleted