1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a tip: Don't out a cheapskate pastor if you need your job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Feb 1, 2013.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Isn't it typically listed on the menu, that "All parties of x or more people will be charged a xx percent gratuity"?

If you overlook that on a menu (and it's not exactly a rare thing at restaurants), then get mad when the bill comes, I think the problem is with the customer in that case.

If the service was especially crappy, that's one thing - and I'd take that up with the manager. I'm usually not an overtipper, but I don't think an 18 percent tip on a table of 20 is outrageous. And to take it out on the waitress who surely had nothing to do with that corporate policy on parties of 8 or more by giving her a zero tip is very much a dick/bitch move.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

No. And it doesn't require any more effort to carry out a $2 grilled cheese than it does a $20 steak. That's why I tip based on the service, not the bill.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Considering just about every sit-down restaurant in America has a policy like this, yeah.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

What does Jesus do with the money people give to him?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mr. Pink

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Bible isn't logical.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

So you think the servers at Johnny Rockets are doing the same amount of work as those at Ruth's Chris?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When you have a party that large, the waiter can only wait on your party when you are there. Their night of work, or about half of it, depends on what you give as a tip. If the party stiffs, then that server is fucked for the night.

Usually you are waiting on 4-5 tables at a time and maybe you get three to four turnovers a night. That's 12-20 tables. You get a party like that, you are losing two of your rotations, or 8-10 tables. If you are getting 18 tables a night, and you get stiffed once or run into a Mr. Pink, you will still be OK for the night. But if a large party fucks you, then you are in trouble.

A large party will also put a big strain on the kitchen and will clog up orders getting out.

I also hate the "if they give good service mindset." Usually the server has other tables, and if one person is running the server like a dog, then the other tables are not getting waited on.

Usually when you go to a place to eat, you should expect the following from a server...

Take a drink order.
    Give you drinks, take your food order.
    One check for refills.
    Bring you food.
    Check how everything is going ask if anyone needs more refills.
    Clear plates, ask about dessert.
    Drop check
    Give you your receipt.

If you are asking for more than that, you are asking for too much. If you are asking for refills when they are already coming back with refills for another member of your party, you're being a dick. They are waiting on you, but they are not your slave.

They also seat people in staggers. If a server is constantly getting shit for your table, they are not able to get things for other tables.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, so let's say you tip 20 percent on a $15 order, OK? Because maybe your server was above and beyond, by your scale.

Now he/she has to lose part of that tip to the busboy. And to the hostess. And to the kitchen. And to those who are only getting tipped 0-10 percent.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Shoeless, do you also understand that waiters make minimum wage or close to it? The tips are not extras. The tips are their wages.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I don't get how you tipping based on service vs. on the bill would work. Do you keep a mental adding machine, adding a 50 cents or a buck every time they check on you, get you a new drink, ask if you'd like to see a dessert menu, etc.?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's like saying writing a 20-inch article for The New York Times doesn't require more effort than writing a 20-inch article for The Podunk Express.

Draft saved Draft deleted