1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a quickie

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FireJimTressel.com, Jul 14, 2006.

1. You're covering a local golf tournament - be it a high school tourney or a city tourney - and someone in the group you're walking with loses a ball. Is it OK for a sports reporter to help that person look for the ball?

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No, but it is OK to kick it farther into the rough.

3. Especially if that guy's opponent would be a better story, eh DP?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with it. Fans will help the golfer find the ball anyway. If the rules stated that only the participants could look for it, I'd have an issue with it. But that's not the case.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This actually happened to me last weekend. I found the ball under a branch, way away from where they were looking for it, and didn't even think about not telling them. Of course, it was a scramble so they weren't using that shot anyway, but still...

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I don't have a problem with it either. It'd be like if the ball came to rest 15 feet from where you were standing, you'd point it out.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I know it's the nice thing to do, but aren't you potentially affecting the outcome of the event?

By finding a ball that might otherwise not be found, you just saved the guy a couple of strokes.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

We're not supposed to affect the outcome of an event, but helping find a missing ball doesn't fall under that heading. Unless we're talking John Kruk ...

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not really. Again, anyone else on the course (fans, rangers, officials, etc.) would help the player find the ball. I just covered three days of match play, and the opponents were helpful to each other in finding balls. It's a courtesy. Even if you find the ball when they can't, it's likely going to be in a bad place (deep rough, behind a tree, etc.), so it'll be like a penalty anyway.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'd just half-ass it and if I happened to see the ball, I'd point it out.

11. 85bears

85bears Member

Ask Michael Bamberger.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Definitely, though, it's not your place to point out rules violations. That's up to the players. Helping to find the ball is innocent enough, but as Bamberger found out, you shouldn't tattle to rules officials that a player was doing something wrong. Now if you just report on it, well, you did see it ...

Draft saved Draft deleted