1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a new group to rival hockey and soccer parents: Summer Camp Parents!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 26, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If this is just a chance to bash me, then you are an ass for asking me to post this on a board.

I added to this because I sent a PM to 21, and it is as follows in a little bit longer tength.

I can also pull out college textbooks I have on the shelf that state that certain groups of people are amazingly strong in language skills and certain groups are much stronger in mathematics.

Those positive traits are accepted and embraced, but would those also be stereotypes?

It drives me crazy when people think that all groups of people should act the same. With the history of each culture through the centuries, there is no way I would expect most (not all mind you) Jewish people to act the same as Chinese for example. I would not expect the Irish to have the same qualities as the Native Americans.

Some of these qualities are positive, but some are negative. You cannot have one without the other.

Sorry if I pissed you off, but my daughter's pseudo maternal grandmother and grandfather are Jewish and from NYC, and I if I expected them to act like my Croatian parents from Pittsburgh I would be banging my head against the wall. That would be my fault, not theirs.

Differences are great and should be expected, not ignored.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Why am I an ass for asking to keep it out on the board?

You didn't piss me off.

If you post something like you did, expect a question or two.

Edit: I assuming you are talking to me.

3. 93Devil

My bad then.

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I'll be clear, I do think you need to think through what you posted a little bit more.

5. 93Devil

No doubt and no arguement from me there.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

You didn't post the first line of the PM you sent, and I won't post it, but read it again and step back and look objectively at it.

7. 93Devil

"Them" was summer camp parents. I think I know what you might of thought at first.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

How could it be taken any other way? You used the same percentages? Am I wrong?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good thing 93 is not running for president. If so he would be getting ready to hold a press conference announcing his withdrawal.

I hope you were at least willing to swim with the Jewish children at your camp.

10. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Wow, kind of weird when I'm not the one being scewered. ;)

Fact is these summer camp parents are just a representation of something much bigger, of the trend of parents who have lost touch with reality and continue this disturbing practice of brainwashing their kids into a sense of entitlement and making them think they are set apart. These kids don't learn how to acclimate within a group, and also don't learn basic concepts that they're not always going to get their way. So by the time they're teenagers, if something bad happens, they stomp their feet and threaten to call "daddy" and expect to be bailed out of anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted