1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a contrarian thought on good writers ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's not a column, then.
    It's just somebody who has no opinion trying to cash a bigger check.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You could not be more wrong. It's not possible.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If a column does not have an opinion, a distinct point of view, then it's just a feature with a mug on it. I've never believed in that. Feature writing is feature writing. Column writing is column writing. Royko did not write features. Then again, I'm talking to somebody who respected Hunter S. Thompson, who buried his brilliant talent in drugs and self-obsession. So why bother.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

This was a column.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Beautifully done.
    And thanks for proving my point.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Show me in Heinz's piece where there's any opinion from the writer.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

More Duvall: "You're not a columnist. You're a reporter who writes long."

When I have time to read, I gravitate toward the features in Esquire. I've worn thin on Klosterman, but Jones, Tom Junod, et al, are usually quality reads. As far as newspaper columnists, well, there are few whose opinion I value above my own.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Yeah, Heinz needed a couple of lines in there right off the top about horse racing being a brutal sport -- that would have put his point across. It sort of gets lost.

It just seems to me that there's too much opinion on balance and too much shouting and wiseacre self-congratulation in columns. "Subtle" is a dirty word in the business of soapbox sermons.

YHS, etc

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I didn't say there was opinion in there.
    I said you proved my point.
    It was a terrific piece. It was a featurized news story. It wasn't a column, regardless of how it was presented in the paper.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm with you. But that doesn't seem to be what editors (or maybe even readers) seem to want.

Perfect example is KC. Whitlock and Posnanski are two of the best at what they do. Posnanski is a fantastic writer who may or may not take stance on a given day. But which one is the identity of section?

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It seems to me that in these dire times, "column" has somehow become synonymous with "opinion." Much to our sadness, I think. Go back and look at the greats and you'll find a lot of straight-up storytelling. Always with a larger metaphorical point, certainly, but storytelling it was.

And a follow up question for SF Express:

Are we talking about writers of all stripes and varieties here, or just columnists?

12. silentbob

silentbob Member

Are you serious? Sports commentary drives the business these days. People WANT to read opinion. They want to disagree. They want to be pissed off. Why do you think columnists are the most-well known people in our industry? People want analysis. They want to think about things they haven't thought before. And mostly they want to tell everyone what an idiot the columinist is for writing this morning's column. People want columns more than they want pretty writing. Every section needs a voice, and a strong one at that.

Draft saved Draft deleted