1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heres a blast from the past for all the old hippies like FB. :)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, May 20, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/215859

Pretty long piece but man, I went to university with these people.

More than that, some of the flower children of the '60s are feeling vindicated by a growing concern about the very things they rebelled against: rampant consumerism, waste and environmental degradation. At a time that has seen An Inconvenient Truth capture an Oscar, and the U.S. get bogged down in another foreign war, the idea of finding a better way to live has found new currency.

Earlier this month, the San Francisco Chronicle's Mark Morford, in a column headlined "The Hippies Were Right," argued that the flower-power generation can take credit for inspiring many of the ideas now accepted by the public at large. "You know it's true," he wrote. "All this hot enthusiasm for healing the planet and eating whole foods and avoiding chemicals and working with nature and developing the self? Came from the hippies. Alternative health? Hippies. Green cotton? Hippies. Reclaimed wood? Recycling? Humane treatment of animals? Medical pot? Alternative energy? Natural childbirth? Non-GMA seeds? It came from the granola types.

2. JackS

JackS Member

More reading material for you...

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/05/thefarm200705?printable=true&currentPage=all

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jack,
    Thanks.

Everything is cyclical so now hippies will come back in style. Hell, I was in The Gap today and they had Madras shorts. Jesus.

This stuff reminds me of what Tom Wolfe once wrote about Marshall McLluhan: "What if he is right?" (And he was)

4. JackS

JackS Member

I can definitely identify with the "back to basics" concept (as I type on my computer ::)).

I'm just not sure if I'm more hippie or Amish.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hope y'all saved those parachute pants. They'll be worth a fortune in oh, 12 years or so ....

Draft saved Draft deleted