1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's 1 reason why I won't read your drivel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Oct 3, 2018.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Seems to be a Gannett initiative, where every other story must have a headline that includes "5 reasons why ..." "3 things to watch ..." or "7 signs that ..."

I realize many of those reporters - most in sports - are too busy building their hilarious social media brands to learn how to write a compelling headline, but damn. Enough already.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

It's an SEO thing as much as anything.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

You might not like it but it is a proven successful strategy.

Writer likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"(Random Shooting):" 5 losers and one winner.....

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Don't you know? Gannett fired most of its copy editors.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's even worse. Sometimes these heads say something like, "This player will be the difference-maker for State U."

Who, dammit!

Almost all heads come to our publishing center reading this way (as they go online first). Our copy editors are supposed to change them to more print-friendly heads . . . but often do not. It's maddening.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I can't get mad about clickbait headlines anymore. They've been around 10+ years. If you're dumb enough to continue to fall for them, well that's about you, not the headline.

Writer likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pretty much formula. Run a picture similar to Doc Holliday's avatar with the words, "You won't believe what happened next! The cameras NEVER STOPPED ROLLING!"

Actually, you will believe what happens next:

1. Tons of pop-up ads.
    2. A stupid top-20 list you have to click through to reach No. 1.
    3. No hot pictures of celebrity babes. Thanks for helping some skeezy company's click count.

9. BTExpress

dirtybird likes this.
  10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

"Five things" game stories and advances had become the norm toward the end of my tour of duty at my previous shop. But as often as not, they'd be sent to us (even after a first read by the newsroom liaison teams) labeled as "five things," but actually with four things, or six things. It often forced us to change the design to accommodate a short story or do some major hacking on a long story, along with correcting the fact error.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  11. BTExpress

I always wince when a paper I'm doing covers 2 teams, leaving me with side-by-side "5 things we learned . . . " headlines, the only difference in the heads being the team name.

OscarMadison and Hermes like this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

These types of pieces existed before the business went into the tank and great writers did them well, but they're too often a crutch now born from a lack of copy editors. And the construction still matters to me, and "XX things we learned" is too smarmy.

Come back later for my 3 Takeaways from this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted