1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Here You Go, Boss"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, May 16, 2007.

?

Men, when someone in the service industry calls you "boss" or "chief" they are being:

1. Polite and Conversational

27.3%
  2. A Patronizing Dickhead

72.7%
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn, F_H, you beat me to it. I went with the Chief from "Get Smart" first.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

the world would be far nicer place if people just thought, "what would shockey do?"

it's called acting like a charming adult. everyone should try it some time. it really works!!

and it sure beats venting over stupid stuff like this. 8) :eek: ::)

3. Wow, man. I paid you a compliment. Even took a dig at myself and you still managed to take your own dig at me. That wasn't so charming. ;)

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

my bad. still have some 'roid rage i'm working out here, write. it should be out of my system after the weekend.

have a swell day, boss 8)!

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

It would bug me too. it's a little casual, though Applebees ain't exactly high cuisine

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

The only people that have ever called me "Boss" worked in a deli run by Mediterranean men on 5th Avenue in Manhattan.... it didn't really bother me all that much. Just a colloquialism, is all.

7. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

doesn't bother me one way or the other, sarge. as long as it's not a stranger saying it. ;)

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with it, chief.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Boss or chief are a little annoying, but I'm not a big fan of nicknames even from someone I know. The one server remark I find amazing is "big guy", which when uttered is invariably said by a guy waiter under 30. I have a friend (who admittedly is a bigger guy, but didn't particularly desire to have it pointed out with an attractive female present) who was about ready to punch a waiter over that one once.

10. Big guy would piss me off as well.

I use man and dude with some of my sources even, those who are my age or younger, but I think those are harmless. They're not suck-upish.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Gotta love "Tex" or "Big Shooter"...

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

"Chief" is definitely a slap, in my book. Not so much too casual as a passive-aggressive way of calling someone an asshole. I'll give them my best "fuck you" look back.
    "Boss" is a little hazier, depends on the context.
    Got no problem with "man" or "dude," but I'd rather someone I don't know just call me "Hey."

Draft saved Draft deleted