1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Here You Go, Boss"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, May 16, 2007.

?

Men, when someone in the service industry calls you "boss" or "chief" they are being:

1. Polite and Conversational

27.3%
  2. A Patronizing Dickhead

72.7%
  1. Went to Applebee's tonight. Waiter kept calling me, "Boss."

"Here's your burger, Boss. Do you want another beer, Boss? Do you want your check, Boss? Do you want me to clear your plate, Boss?"

I've always found this to be patronizing, if not condescending. I can't imagine calling anyone I respect who's not my boss, "Boss". "Chief" is another word I despise. The only time I've ever used the word, "Chief" was to verbally backhand someone younger than me.

I gave the waiter my customary 20 percent tip because I was in a good mood, but does this grate on anyone else's nerves? And do women have an equivalent for other women?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

wouldn't bother me, boss. but if it did, i'd just say, "thanks (name on tag), i'm shockey. people call me shockey. try it. it's fun!"

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Who the fuck is that, boss?

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I absolutely hate it.
    Makes me feel like I'm in prison.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This kind of response is what makes you the phenom you are. ;)

Boss Tweed, 3bags. :)

7. That makes sense. Obviously your social skills are much more developed than mine.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't know, boss. )

Seriously, I guess it depends on the facial expression of the person. I think in most cases, I'd prefer not to be talked to like that, but I can see a situation where it wouldn't be that bad.

I don't object, but have always found it funny to have customer-service people who are women call me sweetheart or honey. It probably is a southern thing. I noticed that I've never had that happen when I'm with my wife. :)

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This guy had no problem with it...

[​IMG]

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Did you mean this guy, Inky?

[​IMG]

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Three squares a day and the best sex you ever had.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Really? Can you cash in Marriott points?

Draft saved Draft deleted