1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here is a high school athlete with some integrity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, May 16, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah because I've covered tournaments where kids complain about their competitors cheating their asses off to get a better score. Happended at a regional tournament with state berths on the line. Four other kids in a group said a kid turned in a wrong score, but no one could prove it even though the others three had identical score cards. the kid went on to state.

Unfortunately, it's hard to get enough officials to cover each group out on a course.
    It turns into the dishonor system pretty quick.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Someone told me recently about a kid at the local college-town high who either dropped a ball or fucked up a scorecard and caused the entire team to miss the state tournament.

And, kudos to the girl in this story. We need more young people like her. I wonder if I could recruit her?

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Do you coach, three_ ?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No.

But this guy does.

[​IMG]

Edit: The one fucking time I don't hit the preview button. Sorry for the red x.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I HATED Red X when he was my coach...

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Worst golf fuckup story I've dealt with:

Local kid plays the round(s) of his life in his first attempt at Q School (in 1999), with his father on his bag. Cards final-round 65 and earns his card, when nobody thought he had any chance, whatsoever.

And then signs the scorecard dear old Dad has kept for him. An incorrect scorecard.

Because he signed for too many strokes, though (1 to be specific), he's allowed to keep his score. And, yeah, the one extra stroke he signed for is the stroke that cost him his card. He never has made the Tour.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

I understand the rule and that integrity of the rules is a serious part of golf. That is necessary because the game is spread out and people can't be everywhere checking on people.

However, my question to some of the golf people is, in this case, why should that be the rule? Why shouldn't, if she realizes it immediately, assess herself a one-stroke penalty and then hit another shot?

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

She didn't realize it immediately. She realized it after she finished the round, so she couldn't go back and replay the last two holes. DQ.

I'm not sure, but I think if she had played the wrong ball and then realized it before she played another shot, the outcome could have been different.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good story. Seems like those come around every few years in prep golf.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sentences like this bother me because they make me hesitate for a second and think, "this cost her a spot in college?"

It should read something like this:

"Because of the disqualification, Milbourn wasn't named to the IAAM All-Star list. She will be going to Amherst College in the fall, but only as a two-time conference champion instead of a three-time champ."
    [/quote]

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

If she realizes she has played the wrong ball before she plays her next shot, she is popped two shots for playing the wrong ball and then has to return to the spot where her original ball was and play out from there. I know that part of the rule because I have played the wrong ball in competition not once, but twice.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Did they find Dad's body yet?

Seriously, good for Hayley. She should be commended for telling the truth and taking the consequences.

Draft saved Draft deleted