1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

LOL at this post a little further down, on the executive editor with connections in Hollywood (and we're not talking Florida):

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2009/03/miami_herald_cuts_175_jobs_abo.php#comment-3621325

Hey! Why pick on the Barry clan but not the Gyllenhaals? If the former ought to get by on Dave's income, can't Anders just sponge off Jake and Maggie?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Having worked with Michelle, I will back up that she is a top-notch journalist, writer and person. The posting on the blog was out of line and incorrect in so many ways, and her feeling to set things straight on here is justifiable, just as it was justifiable for Dave to go on the blog and post a retort himself.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This was just sent to me and has me shaking my head, if anyone can refute, PLEASE do but I suspect that is not possible:

the two other names I was just given are Jeff Shain and Sarah Rothchild. Yep, you read it right. The fuckin' golf writer on the same day Tiger Woods rolled into town for his first stroke play tournament since the U.S. Open last year. And Jeff was out at Doral yesterday for Tiger's practice round and press conference.

Fuckin' disgusting!!!

And Sarah covers the Miami Heat for the Herald and I saw her on TV following Monday night's Dwyane Wade classic buzzer beater against the Bulls. I haven't gone online to see if her byline was on last night's Heat-Celtics game.

Fuck a bunch of Herald/McClatchy!!!

4. MileHigh

Didn't work with Sarah but have heard good things about her.

Jeff Shain is a different matter. If it's true he's gone, yes, that is fucking disgusting. He's one of the top three writers on that staff, busts his ass on FSU and golf and is a great guy and easy to work with on top of it.

I've been sick about this since it went down yesterday. I'm even more sick now. And I suspect it will get worse when the final list of sports names comes out.

5. Moderator1

The Pipeline would be thrilled to have its first miss on this one, trust me on that.
    Sadly, as I said earlier, I suspect not.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I thought we stopped anguishing over the relative quality or promise of those being dumped, compared to others, once it became clear that quality and promise have nothing to do with these cutbacks (Herald or elsewhere).

If you weren't reeling over Sarah and Jeff being whacked, you'd be irate (I hope) over two others being laid off. Unless there was ever a chance the suits were going to stop at 173 corpses rather than 175, railing about specific individuals does an injustice to all the others who don't necessarily have personal supporters here.

Unless I know for sure that some laid-off worker was a lazy loser, I just assume that everyone getting dumped is getting treated horribly and that the paper will be worse off the next day. Those left standing have nothing to apologize for -- unless it was their job to find another solution besides destroying the business.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jeff is one of the nicest people I've ever dealt with in this business and works his ass off for that place.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just the mere fact that Jeff has to cover a college team in addition to golf tells you everything anyone needs to know about how hard he works. I'm guessing the commute from Miami to Tallahassee was a fun one to make on a weekly basis.

Cocksuckers.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jeff is a great guy. But golf is a vacation "beat".

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree with your sentiments, Bob.

And, I know this will probably seem sacrilegious, but, frankly, it wouldn't be all that unbelievable -- not these days -- that someone might presume to order Michelle out of the business she has made her life's work.

It has happened to lots of people.

Sure, I'm glad it hasn't happened to her. But I wouldn't be surprised, anymore, if it did.

11. Moderator1

Has anyone else heard this?
    My source is a good one but it was one of those "this can't REALLY be" kind of things.

12. MileHigh

Oh, no, I'm pissed off and angry at everyone being let go. It's just more acute when they are friends and people I worked closely with.

Draft saved Draft deleted