1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Oh come on. This was not Mizzou's fault. He even complimented her work on the original post, and the only reaction on this thread has been to say it was a cheap shot. Michelle has every right to be pissed off, but her post really should have gone on the guy's blog, not on here.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am sure that more people will see it here. If you pass that crap along, you have some responsibility for it. Especially if you are a trained journalist.

I don't mind people bitching and ranting, but they should stick to facts when they do. Erroneous attacks should be corrected, not spread.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thank you... Agree completely.

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

If we're talking about two weeks, or basically another pay cycle, then yeah, obviously that's a different story. But in this case they just didn't want to have to scramble to find someone else to help on one of the busiest sports weekends in South Florida (Tiger Woods at Doral, the World Baseball Classic, Miami Heat basketball, spring training to name just a few). And I don't think his pay is taking a big enough hit or perhaps even any hit at this point, otherwise I'm willing to bet Mike would have thought about that before declining. Nope, I think his answer was a perfect "Fuck you, cover it yourself" but not in so many words.

5. BobFord15

BobFord15 New Member

Michelle hardly needs me or anyone else to defend her work. I've known her since she worked in Detroit and is as careful, talented and enthusiastic as anyone in our business.
    What the current climate does is reduce us sometimes to rats in a box striking one another, looking for a way out. It's unbelievable that someone would presume to order Michelle out of the business she has made her life's work.
    It is the people far above our heads who have created this crisis, and some are slashing their products to nothingness in order to save their own tanned and pampered skins. Don't help them, please, or let them off the hook by turning on each other now. We're better than that.
    Bob

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wait a second. Is Michelle out? Did I miss something?

7. silentbob

silentbob Member

I think Mizzou grad understands it was a misunderstanding.
    Anyone who follows this business knows the value of Michelle's work.
    Obviously, emotions are running pretty high right now.
    These are scary, scary times.

8. Mizzougrad96

I respect the hell out of Michelle. I don't have any problem with what she posted at all, she just happened to blame me for posting what someone else had said. It's fine.

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

No Moddy. Unfortunately, because of an anonymous poster on Bob's blog, she had to set the record straight about her standing at the Herald and that of Dave's and their son's.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do we know who IS out yet in a way that can be posted? If not, someone PM me.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And referring to her work in the past tense in doing so ...

12. Mizzougrad96

Seriously, let it go...

Draft saved Draft deleted