1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Two in sports. I know who, but won't say. MileHigh named one.
    Not to diminish decisions already made, but Rojas' biggest cut hasn't happened. Or, if it has, it hasn't been announced to the staff. One of three high-salaried writers soon will be without salary. I've been told those names as well, but I'm not going there. I guess I disagree on readers needing to know names, but then I get upset at drivers who gawk at car accidents, too. If DC wants to put his name out there, fine. But it should be his call.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We can't really trumpet the "newspapers are a public service" angle and then say that what happens at them isn't in the public's interest.

3. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Damn!! I just met Mike for the first time this past Saturday at the Marlins-Orioles spring training game I was stringing for AP and he was as helpful to me as if he had known me for a while. Seems like a real nice guy and having just read his bio and seen how long he has been at the Herald -- more than two decades -- this pisses me off even more. :mad:

4. Speedway

Speedway Member

I don't know how many of you remember this - Phillips' invention of the Herald's high school all-sports scoring system back in the 80's. Good stuff.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hell, how long until we get to an all-volunteer workforce?

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

In typical all-for-1HP, 1HP-for-none style, word is they asked MP to continue covering his assignments through the weekend. He, um, declined. Ma Herald has some big balls.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

big balls, indeed.

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Politely declined? I hope not. I can't imagine what I might say in that moment, but I can assure you it wouldn't be fit to print!!!!

9. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Echo the sentiment of those who say Mike is a class act. I'm just empty right now.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Dan Christensen is about the biggest travesty I have seen in this spate of layoffs.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

If I ever got laid off and they said, hey, can you work through the weekend, I would.

Cuz, well, I'd need the money.

There's no shame in that I don't think.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, I stayed on for two extra weeks. Needed the money.

Draft saved Draft deleted