1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

"The Bullet" has spoken specifically, straightforwardly and certainly enough to make me believe his version of things, and I doubt he would speak so much so on the board, if none of this was the case.

Zag and AD do have a point, though.

There obviously are people still, or formerly, at the Herald, on this site, and reading this thread. Maybe even Mike...

If so, perhaps he should check in. And if he isn't here, perhaps another Herald staff member or alum should contact him, and tell him to come on the board for a response, or else, the message board equivalent of a "no comment."

It would be the journalistic thing to do, to at least make a concerted attempt to give the other side an opportunity to speak.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I have to think this has gotten back to Mike. Unless he's trapped somewhere without Internet access, I think he has had an opportunity to speak. Declining to do so doesn't mean the side of the story presented is true, it just means it's the side we've heard. Are we expecting someone to contact Mike so he can decline to comment to a message board?

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The thing is, we may think it must have gotten back to Mike. But we don't know that, and journalistically, we should and would normally see that it did at least do that.

Whether Mike responds or not, obviously, is up to him.

Doing either thing would leave a lot in the way of impressions, or possibilities, be they for better, or for worse.

If I were him, and I saw a post like that about me on a message board, and I had a different take, opinion or "version" of things, I think I would respond in some way, even if it is to come on and decline to talk about it.

Not to do so leaves too much to the imagination, or could come off as an unspoken admission, or a reason for others to make the assumption, that what "the bullet," says is true.

4. gridiron

gridiron Member

In Bullet's defense, if you work in South Florida or know people who do, you probably know his identity. And that's the EXACT version of the story as I heard a year ago when this occurred. Not defending or condemning his decision to post it, just saying he's not all that anonymous. I don't consider it cowardly at all.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd heard the story too.

6. AD

AD Active Member

not calling him cowardly, or even a liar. just want to hear both sides before i decide what to believe.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Grid,

He said it's been eating at him for the last six months, so how could you have heard the story a year ago, especially when the layoffs happened this past October and the first round of buyouts happened in July?

8. gridiron

gridiron Member

Andy, I guess my timeline was off. My bad. I don't have any dog in this race so I have no reason to make this up. I heard the story some time ago and I know and like both individuals. That's the extent of my involvement here.

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

That's fine grid. Your timeline just caught my attention.

10. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Moddy, why would you allow a punk like that to create a logon for the sole purpose of bashing a former colleague by name?
    His posts did not advance the issue. Hell, they didn't even address the issue.
    He's basking in a guy is losing his job, which reveals all we need to know about his character.

11. the bullet

the bullet New Member

Didn't advance the issue? Didn't address the issue? Excuse me?

When someone is unilaterally praised, is it or is it not good journalism to provide a full perspective of a person's character? I believe I did advance the issue, and I believe I remained on topic. Thank you.

12. SoBeOrNotSoBe

SoBeOrNotSoBe Member

Agreed. Praise him to your heart's content for his early work on preps and whatnot, but not all of us have rosy memories of our dealings with the man. The bullet's story is consistent with what I know. Sad, but not surprising.

Draft saved Draft deleted