1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Well, at the least it looks like Jeff is soldiering on at the WGC CA as his main bar on today's third round is up on the site now. And Sarah's online gamer from today's Heat-Jazz game also is up there, so she too is soldiering on.

But in another interesting development, I noticed former ASE Bill Van Smith compiled the rail at Doral, and he took the buyout during the last round and has been freelancing, so Jorge and company are reaching for every warm body.

Talk about timing. Not sure what type of domino effect Phillips' departure had this weekend, but here's a quick rundown of what all needed to be covered just today:

Heat-Jazz NBA matinee at the Triple-A at 1 p.m.

Boston Red Sox at Baltimore Orioles spring training game in Fort Lauderdale at 1 p.m.

Florida Marlins at Minnesota Twins spring training game in Fort Myers at 1 p.m.

Atlanta Braves at St. Louis Cardinals spring training game in Jupiter at 1 p.m. (no Herald presence necessarily required)

World Baseball Classic doubleheader at Dolphin Stadium at 1 p.m. (Venezuela vs. Netherlands) and 8 p.m. (USA vs. Puerto Rico)

WGC CA Golf Championship -- Third round with Tiger Woods still in the hunt (all day)

UM vs. Duke college baseball in Coral Gables at 7 p.m.

Panthers-Lightning NHL night game at BankAtlantic Center at 7 p.m.

Just a slow day in paradise that every understaffed sports department welcomes with open arms -- not to mention the NCAA conference basketball tournaments that need to be organized in the sports section, and any potential Dolphins breaking news on free agent signings, etc. Oh, I almost forgot, there was Donte Stallworth's car accident that resulted in a fatality on the MacArtur Causeway.

But no, we don't need anybody in the newsroom -- FUCKTARDS!!!!!!

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Tiger's in the hunt? What tournament are you watching?

3. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

It all did get done, though.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I never said their next jobs would be in print journalism.

Nor will mine.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

DING-DING-DING.

Jeff Shain is one of the most humble big-time sports writers in the country. The man is as devoid of ego as he is possessing of talent.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's not the case anymore. A few will land on their feet (in sports journalism) but most will look around for awhile, decide whether to uproot their families and then move on in another business.

Most of the people I know who lost their jobs who are still working in the business are doing it at about 60 percent of what they used to be making.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Joe, another great post.

I have asked myself some of the same questions you posed here, thus far without satisfactory answers.

When one has committed the time and resources of a university education and well over 15 years to something, they can certainly feel pigeon-holed. I know it's folly to even WANT to go back in this environment. You ask yourself what else you can/want to do and the list is a short one.

Maybe at some point, I break down, bite the bullet and go back to school and train for something totally different. Not sure what. Not sure how all of the other industries are faring, either. (Heck, my state is laying off school teachers cause they can't afford to pay them.)

This is happening to such large numbers of people that I will be most interested to see how it plays out for them and their former employers in the long run.

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Joe, to anyone else, seven shots back is insurmountable. But I've seen enough Tiger over the years to know better than to ever say he's not in the hunt unless he's already missed the cut.

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

It always gets done, that's not the point. Heck, the final edition of the Rocky "got done" under arguably the most adverse conditions imaginable save for the newspapers directly impacted by Hurricane Katrina or other natural disasters. The problem is, was it necessary to force it to get done on the heels of all these layoffs during such a busy news cycle? There is no "good" time to announce layoffs and cutbacks, but geez, what harm would it have done to wait another week?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I don't know Jeff and I don't intend this post to be a comment on him particularly.

But the point is, I don't know Jeff. Or his work. So I would hope that he or anyone else who could remain off the radar of a pretty savvy sports (and sportswriting) fan wouldn't let his ego run too wild. Humility is by far the better course, most days, most folks.

What I'm saying is, in any real sense, the exploits we cover have minimal impact on the human condition and those who achieve them ought to be humble, with egos held in check. Now step back one level to those of whose who simply chronicle those minimally important exploits or do a little song-and-dance in 700 words to elicit a smile or a "hmmm" from some reader.

We ought to have our egos locked away somewhere semi-permanently (other than the small portion it takes to put ourselves in the arena, ready to play), leading with humility at almost all times.

Except in dealing with newspaper honchos these days, when we should be leading with our bare knuckles. ;D

11. Seven shots back ain't in the hunt.. Not even close.
    Tiger Woods or no. Yeah, Phil may pull another Sunday choke job, but there are waaaaay too many others tyo step in.
    Tiger is not in the hunt.

12. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Well played

Draft saved Draft deleted