1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Seconded, thirded and fourthed.

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

MP was scheduled to do WBC this week, along with CS.
    Pelegrin is filling in this week on Marlins because others rejected the assignment.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Stressing that I don't know one way or another, somebody's byline being in the paper today doesn't, to me, indicate whether the news is good or bad one way or another. As these things have progressed around the country, there have been a number of people who were given the news, but then continued to work until a certain point.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm sure it's his pay, and not his versatility.

Shain is plenty versatile, and more of a heavyweight.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Nice show of solidarity on their part.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Versatility has nothing to do with who loses their job. In almost all cases it's a question of beat and salary. Most places are getting rid of golf writers and auto racing writers, national writers, notes columnists, feature writers, and people who cover teams outside of the circulation area. Implying that Jeff or Sarah aren't versatile is ignorant.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We still don't know anything for sure on Jeff, do we?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I had heard that Jeff had been saying it himself.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

A guy who accepts an assignment is more likely to survive than someone who turns one down.

One reason Pete is still there is because he's willing to do whatever he's asked, whether it's on his beat (FIU) or not (Marlins). I've never implied anything about anyone else, and to say otherwise is quite ignorant.

If I wanted to rip on someone I would just come out and say it. Let it go.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is EXACTLY what you are implying. When I saw your post last night about Pete, I knew it was headed down this road. Who knows why Pete survived the ax? Nobody. But your posts are saying that if everyone had been more like Pete, everyone would be fine.

When the layoffs come to my place, which should be pretty soon I imagine, I wouldn't love my name being bandied about here. But I'll take the good wishes and career testimonials as some solace. I would be mortified, however, to find myself in Pete's position, held out publicly as someone who's better than my colleagues or deserved his job more.

Having seen a few of these already, I know there is no pattern, rhyme or logic to any of it. Not a single person deserved to lose his or her job any more than anyone else deserved to keep one. This shit is as random as a drive-by shooting. Get that straight.

11. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Well put LongTime.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you really believe that salary and beat aren't driving factors, LTL?

Draft saved Draft deleted