1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with traveler's checks and suggestions on places to visit in Europe

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Jan 3, 2007.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I plan on using ATM's mostly, but I wanted to have traveler's checks for the first week when I'm going to need a large amount of money for rent and a security deposit.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

In my experience, the few who took travelers checks charged a hefty fee. Get those prepaid debit card things or just your own debit card in ATMs.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Oh yeah, by the way, the ISE International Student ID Card = FRAUD.

I spent nine months in Jolly Olde England and didn't use the damn thing once. Your school in London will give you one of their own ID cards, and that's all you'll need.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Paris. I'd go live there in a heartbeat and my French is abysmal beyond words. The Papal Palace in Avignon, France is kind of cool.

I would love to travel Eastern Europe. Always been fascinated with its history.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

While my sister was studying in germany, she found a deal on a german cell phone where my parents could call her and it was free for her. It cost my parents, but it saved my sister a lot of money. I don't know if they have the same situation in England, but you might think about that.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Check out www.ryanair.com. You can get amazingly cheap flights but do not bring much luggage. They kill you on the overweight.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I rented a phone that has good rates through my school and yes, people can call me and it's free for me.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Dear Dr. Eunuch -

The other good reason to use a credit/debit card - even to purchase your travelers' checks once in London - is that they generally assure you of the lowest exchange rate.

Two other recommendations on cities to visit, especially for any aspiring writer: Berlin and Prague. For the last fifteen years or so, Prague's been the hot European city for young expat artists. That scene is shifting to Berlin lately, however, so if you're interested in staying up all night at a sidewalk cafe and arguing the merits of Proust, try Berlin.

Draft saved Draft deleted