1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with possible life-changing decision

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Aug 22, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

$60K US is pretty much the same ast $60K Cdn these days (it's $63,030 Cdn based on todays exchange rate)

I'm not saying it's not GOOD money but it's hardly like winning the Powerball.

And I agree with Elliotte. If Brecht really can't stand making $30,000 in journalism, the job may be there in the future. But he should give it his best shot.

And I go back to what some of us have said earlier. It's a sales job which, quite frankly, only a small percentage of people are suited for.

There's an enormous amount of pressure which can make a $60K salary look, well, not such a good deal.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm just taking an unwarranted cheap shot at Canada, JR.

Some sales jobs are pressure-packed and awful. Some aren't so bad and basically consist of glad handing and schmoozing -- which can be terrific if you're into that.

I assume "petroleum" would fall into that category.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ace,
    I suspect sales in petroleum is a ball-busting job.

Point is, whether it's cold calling, flim-flamming or schmoozing, there's only one thing that counts: numbes.

If you're a first class schmoozer you still have to perform--or go into PR.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've always said it too: It's all about the numbes.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was talking tonight with a gentleman who's been in the business for 30-some years. a pretty positive guy, who i think still loves what he does for a living. this is a direct quote (or pretty damned close): "tom, i don't know why anyone would ever want to get into this business nowadays. i'd never, in a million years, suggest to a young person to do what we do for a living. it's changed, and not for the good."

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

TP: You were talking to Yoda, huh? Actually, he pretty much nailed it, unfortunately.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the funny thing is, he kinda looks like yoda.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

End of story.

When you are young, un-married, un-mortgaged, that is the time to do what you love and try to turn it into a career that also pays well (or well enough).

There are a lot of people at the other end of spectrum. They have a nice career that makes money, but they hate it. They wish they could go back to doing what they love, but they can't afford it because they have mouths to feed and bills to pay.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i used to know cats who loved to drop acid. but it's not practical to drop A all your life, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted