1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with downloading issue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DirtyDeeds, Jul 9, 2009.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Trying to download Firefox and an album last night, and the downloads froze up, sometimes after 1% or so and sometimes after a lot more. I tried repeatedly to resume the downloads, but they just won't go through. I don't think I have upgraded anything with my antivirus/spyware protection, so I don't think it's a firewall issue. I've poked around the Interwebs and haven't had any luck finding a solution, so I turn to you guys.

I'm on cable Internet with a wireless router, and it seems to be downloading my automatic updates OK, and the Web works fine. Could it be something as simple as resetting the modem, or has anyone found another solution? I've run the antivirus, spyware and anti-Malware software and tried again today, and still no go.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Are you trying to do both at the same time?

Also, did you just upgrade to IE 7 or 8?

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

No. I tried to download the album, then figured I'd try Forefox to see if I had the same issue. I did.
    I think I have IE 7, but not sure. But I can't upgrade anything at this point.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Any chance your hard drive's full?

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Don't think so. I don't download much other than through iTunes, and I try to clear out my Internet temp files regularly. I'm thinking it's a spyware/virus thing, but I've run all that stuff, so it should be cleared up.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

One suggestion I read on the 'tubes (TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!) is to disable your anti-virus program, and see if that works, then disable your firewall, and see if it works then. However, THIS COULD BE RISKY--PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yeah, I've heard that too. Not sure that's the problem. I've had the same antivirus for several years. I'll have to poke around in that and my spyware program and see if it's an issue with the settings. Appreciate your help.

Draft saved Draft deleted