1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help Webster Furnish His New House

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, May 7, 2007.

1. If you get them all from one store, see if they will give you a discount for purchasing all three at once.

We bought our first house recently too, and I was able to talk the guy down if I bought a stove, refrigerator and washer/dryer.

Also, for the things you don't want to splurge on and will need, check out craigslist.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

TV: I've got a Panasonic plasma (42px50U) and I'm very happy with it.

Be careful about going any larger than 42". We actually downsized a bit from the TV we used to have. Anything larger than 42, we thought, would overpower our living room.

And this may not be an option for you, but I'd suggest anyone buying consider doing so when the new models are coming out. Like buying a 2000 car when the 2001s hit the showrooms, that's the time to really get a deal.

For all, and I do mean ALL, your TV buying (and setting-up) needs, go here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

That'll link you to the "Display Devices" section. I spent many hours here before I bought and felt like the smartest guy in the world when it came time to throw down the cash.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A follow-up question:

Is it worth getting the front loading washer? They seem more expensive, but the reviews seem to say that they are worth it? Thoughts?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Psst... Webbs... over here... forget the plasma TV... only so many hours in the tube...

You want this one ...
    http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=10

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you can afford it, yes. They use less water, less energy, less soap and they're easier on your clothes.

EDIT: Not to mention that if Mrs. Webster is short, it's a lot easier to load and unload a front-loading washer.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

On the TV, consider a DLP. I've got a 46" Samsung that I got through Amazon for just under $1,000.

As for the washer/dryer, make sure the dryer is a high-efficiency model. Something that can dry a load in around a half-hour. Nothing worse than cycling the dryer three times to dry a load of towels.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Congrats, Webster. You'll love the new digs, I assure you.

We just moved into a new house 3 1/2 months ago and upgraded across the board. I heartily recommend the front-loading washer/dryer. We went with a Samsung combo that wasn't cheap (about 2 grand for the set), but it was durable. If you've got kids and do a decent amount of laundry, you'll want durability.

Getting the best mattress/bed you can get is a must. We've had a foam mattress since we were married in 1990, a present from the in-laws. Great buy. We just, however, had to get a new bed. The idiot movers didn't assemble our bed correctly in the new digs and our three-year-old bed broke right down the middle.

As for the barbecue, I'm about to head over to Lowe's in a couple of weeks and pick up one of their $400 or $500 models. Not the one like JR showed that could cook Fred Flintstone Bronto-ribs, but one that has multiple burners and racks. They've got plenty to choose from.

I hearily recommend Lowe's. Free, prompt delivery. In the past two years, we've bought a washer/dryer, refrigerator (our old one was 20 years old), stove and dishwasher (the latter two for the old house) from them. Good prices, good variety, good brands and that all-important free delivery.

I like your attitude. Find a few must-have items to splurge on and let the wife handle the decorating (although make sure you have veto power you can exercise if need be).

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

She is short, but in the nearly nine years that we have co-habitated, she has never once done the laundry. In fact, after I bought her engagement ring but before I proposed, I hid it in a box of Bounce, figuring that she'd never look there.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Here's my grill/smoker:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.academy.com/images/products/120/0263/0263-02219-5600A.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.academy.com/index.php%3Fpage%3Dcontent%26target%3Dproducts/outdoors/grills/smokers&h=120&w=76&sz=6&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=9z2gC-Ca6NpcdM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=56&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbandera%2Bsmoker%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DG

(sorry, I can't make the link say "try this smoker")

It's a little small on the grill side and the food is sometimes hard to flip because it's below the lip of the grill, but it has done Mrs. tbf and I well.

About 200 bucks.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So does that mean the movers WERE idiots or they MOVED idiots? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted