1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help settle a debate: which of these two articles is written the best?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RF22, Nov 18, 2010.

?

Which article has better writing?

1. Daily Tar Heel

81.8%
  2. Reesenews

18.2%
  1. RF22

RF22 New Member

Hey guys, I thought you might be able to help me settle a debate I'm having with my girlfriend. Yesterday, here at UNC, a faculty member resigned because of an 'improper relationship' with a student. Two University sources covered the fiasco:

1) The Daily Tar Heel: http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2010/11/lecturer_resigns_after_sexually_explicit_texts

2) ReeseNews: http://reesenews.org/2010/11/17/reesenews-director-monty-cook-resigns/5918/

She and I are having a pretty intense (not quite heated yet) discussion about which one features better writing. Instead of dragging out this argument, I thought I'd toss it to the experts here.

So let me know which article you think has better writing, and even better, why. Forget presentation or appearance or whatever, just the actual writing. Thanks guys. I'll tell later which side of the debate I fell on, don't want to unduly influence the process.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Daily Tar Heel's is better. The ReeseNews one starts out too vague and too dense with titles and buries the lead. "Due to an incident" is a lame description, and it is buried in between a bunch of titles I don't care about. The first one gets "inappropriate behavior" right there in the beginning.

3. Situation

Situation Member

+1

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Which one did you write?

That one.

5. RF22

RF22 New Member

Didn't write either, and I am winning the debate. Not that I think the Reesenews one is bad, but ya know...

6. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Daily Tar Heel is written better, in my opinion, but reesenews comes through with reaction from multiple sources, whereas Daily Tar Heel was filled with couldn't be reached, didn't respond to a request for an interview, etc.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Your girlfriend is right. Remember that. :D

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Just make sure to argue long enough to spark some good make-up whoopee.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Due to" should never be in a story, much less a lede.

Draft saved Draft deleted