1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me with a reality check...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Jan 2, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I cannot think of any college hoops match-up, outside of UNC/Duke, that warrents a top billing on ESPN over a top-10 team against anyone.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I have honestly never even heard of a Cincy/Xavier "rivalry." There are scores of rivalries that are big on the local stage but don't make any noise outside of those boundaries.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Me neither, at least any hype that would surround it.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I've heard of it, but I'm a hoops junkie who has also visited Cincy a few times and has an affection for the city. It's probably equivalent to a Big 5 game from Philly - interesting but not earth-shattering.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, it's huge here in town. It starts with a luncheon about a month beforehand. They sell special basketballs at Skylines to mark the occasion, go all nuts about it here in Cincy. Frankly, I was pretty hyped about it in my younger days, can't get too worked up about it anymore. Haven't cared for a good long while. Probably since days of Huggins and Xavier's David Letterman look-alike coach, Pete Gillen.

(Though, if Cincy wins, I'll still give my Xavier friends shit about it...)

6. Although I couldn't give two shits about the Shitty of Cincinnati, X-UC is a pretty nice rivalry. Though it doesn't hold a candle to the Big 5 games, it's still nice.

BTW, Miami is UC's real rival.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

There's too much college basketball on TV.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Friends off.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ain't that the damn truth!!

10. Was going to make the same comarison ... Big 5 games are a nice little tradition, especially with the Palestra and everything, but not many people outside of the general Philly area give a crap about LaSalle vs. St. Joe's.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This. And I'm one of the bigger Cincy loyalists around here.

And I don't understand people who still get bent outta shape over something on ESPN2. Is there anyone out there anymore who has ESPN but doesn't have ESPN2? Unless you can't actually see the game (ESPNU is kinda sucky as far as availability), don't bitch about "billing".

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Can we agree on Graeters, at least?

Draft saved Draft deleted