1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me with a reality check...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Local fans, in a discussion online, are all butt-hurt because of ESPN's suggestion that the annual Cincinnati-Xavier basketball game should air on ESPNU or (as it is this year) ESPN2, rather than the mother ship. Fans: "That's disrespectful! It's one of the biggest rivalries in the country!"

My take: Nobody, but nobody outside this area gives two dookies about the game.

I'm too close to it to actually judge, having covered UC for a bunch of years (and attending the god-forsaken univ), so tell me...

Does America-at-large even know about the "Crosstown Shootout" or give a shit?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Where the fuck is Cincinnati?

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

They have a basketball rivalry?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As long as the game is on an available station, why does this stuff matter? There was so much hue and cry a few years back about ESPN taking the bowls off network, but I defy you to find one person who cared that the Rose Bowl wasn't on ABC.

5. sostartled

sostartled Member

I'm a sports fan, but not a college basketball (or NBA) fan and didn't have a clue. But if there's nothing else (big) on, throw it on ESPN instead of the 17th running of SportsCenter.

6. Killick

Thanks. The hyperbole is so thick here at ground zero, it's nice to get a little perspective.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't believe we live in a world where people parse which of its networks ESPN puts games on. We are, what? Still only two weeks removed from the great UConn-Women-On-ESPNU Controversy of 2010?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Nobody in the country cares about your Skyline chili rivalry.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No one gives a shit about this game in Richmond, and this city has an A-10 school.

What games would bump it?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell - wasn't the USC-UCLA football game on FSN this year? Hell - that used to follow Ohio State-Michigan every year on ABC. Times change.
    Unless you are Duke-NC, you should just be thankful someone with a camera shows up.

11. Killick

Hell, I prefer Gold Star anyway.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is there a difference between ESPN and ESPN2? I don't know of any cable system that doesn't have both in the same package. ESPNU is a bit different since not every company carries it in HD.

Draft saved Draft deleted