1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me spend my REI Dividend check

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Anyone who is a co-op member and shops at REI earns a certain percentage of their purchases back at the end of the year.

My annual dividend check just arrived and I have $232.22 to spend at REI, plus I'll be returning a $240 bike trainer I just don't need. I'm set on bike stuff.

Any suggestions?
    http://www.rei.com

And, yes. You can be creative.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

$232 in dividends? Did you fund a wing in your local store?

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Three bicycles did the trick. Two were simple ones for my wife and my to cruise up and down a trail next to the river with the kids in the Burley trailer (also from REI) and the other was my road/racing bike.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I thought about that. But I'd use it so rarely, I'd prefer to just rent a kayak when I need one.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You could get a bunch of camping gear for that eventual ride from San Diego/Seattle to Portland, Maine.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You could buy 172 Clif Bars! That would keep me in breakfast almost a full year...

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well, it's what I'd buy if my dividends check was that big.

Maybe something for the kids. A really awesome bike for the one in middle school?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yes, you'll need separate kayaks. We took lessons and asked about the two-seaters and the female instructor called them "divorce barges."

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're pulling away from me minutes-wise.

How about buy me a plane ticket to the 'Ho and I'll take a 100-mile ride with you.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wait, don't you live in Utah?

12. joe

joe Active Member

Second the camping gear. A good backpack that will carry everything you need for a weekend or a week will cost at least $100 but probably more. Try on multiple models, and make sure you try them with at least 40 pounds in them. One can be comfortable as hell in the store but a bitch when you're on the trail and it's loaded down.

Draft saved Draft deleted