1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me reconcile some feelings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 12, 2012.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My five-year-old son was playing two houses up the street, where a girl his age lives. She has two older siblings, a brother who is 7 and a girl who is 6. The boy doesn't really get along with my son, which is fine; my son goes there to play with the girls. Whatever.

Anyway, yesterday, the 7-year-old boy is hitting golf balls out back by a field adjacent to both of our houses. During one of his backswings, the 7-year-old hits my son in the eye. Eye is swollen, bruised badly. So scared he even pees himself.

My son comes home accompanied by one of the girls and the boy. My son relays the story.

I believe it to be an accident. I do not believe the 7-year-old intentionally attempted to hurt my son. However, I am upset they were allowed out back together hitting golf balls and that the kid was not more careful or taught to be more careful. Overall, though, the kid is not to blame; he's 7.

I am also upset one of the parents did not accompany my son back to his home. Despite it being a 1-minute walk, his eye was swollen shut and he was crying uncontrollably. Later, the mother calls and according to my wife is very cold and obligatory in her tone.

Now ....

I'm leaning toward not allowing my son to play there when the boy is home, but is that rash? My gut reaction is to just tell my son to steer clear of the 7-year-old, especially when he's doing something potentially dangerous. But I realize my son is 5 and will gravitate to such things.

Also, do I address with the parents my feelings (especially about one of them not accompanying my son home), or just drop it? Confronting them seems will do more harm than good, and the only positive outcome is my selfish desire to tell them they were wrong.

Sorry to ramble.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Tell him to punch the kid in the nose. That solves everything.

/crossthread

Serious answer: Only you can decide if you feel comfortable with your son playing there. But I wouldn't bother confronting the parents. What are you going to get out of it? Most people when confronted like that will just dig in and defend themselves, and it turns into a lot more ill feelings than there has to be.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My 2 cents: If you think it wasn't intentional, approaching the parents about why this was allowed likely won't end well. They'll just feel attacked. Why don't you just tell your son to keep his distance? Then again, my advice could be the lingering effects of a concussion talking, as I was hit in the head by a neighbor swinging an aluminum bat when I was 8. Totally my fault; I wasn't paying attention.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tough one. I'd be pissed too.

My first question is why a 7-year-old is hitting golf balls without supervision? That's a recipe for disaster regardless of who is or isn't around. A 7-year-old doesn't have the awareness to look around and see who's around him, one reason why your son took one in the eye.

But getting past that, I guess I'd want to get an explanation -- in a laid-back, non-confrontational manner -- from this other kid's parents on what happened.

Their reaction would set up my own reaction. I wouldn't make any judgments as far as who he gets to play with until you get their side of the story, though hearing their side of the story doesn't mean you need to accept their story.

The fact that they didn't own up to it and accompany your son home is weak sauce. They might be worried about getting sued or something, but it's still bullshit they didn't walk him home, especially as young as he is.

My guess is that it was an accident. Perhaps your son, being 5 and unaware, wandered into the other kid's swing and the kid didn't know it?

Which goes back to why in the hell a 7-year-old is hitting golf balls unsupervised?

This must be my day to hear about golf mishaps. A few hours ago, my wife was telling me that one of her co-workers was chipping balls on his property.

He then went to where he hit the balls and starting hitting the balls back in the direction of his original vantage point ... and his kids were playing on a trampoline within one bad slice of being in the danger zone. Sure enough, he slices one, and hits his youngest son (about the same age as your son) right in the mouth.

What a fucking idiot.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

This explains EVERYTHING.

And CI, I wouldn't let your son play there. Ever. With anyone. The parents sound like complete fucking tools.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd chalk it up to the parents being idiots, and kids sometimes having accidents.

The exact same thing happened to me when I was about 10 and was playing at a buddy's house. He was chipping golf balls, I got too close, neither one of us was paying attention - and I still have the scar on my chin from it. Took about 6 stitches, if I recall correctly. My buddy's parents drove me home and felt horrible about it.

I'd tell my son to avoid that kid, invite the siblings down to your house more often, and remember not to invite those parents to any gatherings anytime soon.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I would be pissed, too.

And I think there is something really wrong with the fact that an adult didn't walk your son home.

I probably wouldn't confront the parents about the accident itself, but I would ask the parents in question to please accompany your son home if (God forbid) any sort of incident like this were to happen again.

I don't care if they're worried about being sued; it's common decency. I can't imagine NOT walking an injured child home, no matter how uncomfortable if might be for me.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I am imagining the first time Little Magoo comes home with his first such injury. Everything I previously said will be forgotten -- at least initially -- amid a haze of words that no one under 40 should hear.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Walk on home, boy."--YGBFKM to the neighborhood kid who golfs his eye out in his yard

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It was an accident. Move forward.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I will launch a preemptive strike against childhood shenanigans by blasting Pantera out of Magoo's window on all days when the temperature is 60 or above. That way, the neighbor kids will know what's up. :D

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I, too, had something similar happen when I was 6. Seems like this might be some sort of SJ rite of passage. I got clocked by my best friend with a cheap wiffle ball bat, the kind that's basically two pieces of plastic melted together and you end up with a sharp edge along the seam. My friend caught me on his backswing (I was standing too close) and busted me open under my left eye.
    I freaked out when I saw the blood running down my arm and ran home screaming. When I got home, I banged on the door yelling for my parents to let me in the house. My mom cleaned me up, took me to the ER and I ended up with two stitches under my eye. The whole time, I was yelling out the name and address of my best friend and telling the doctor they should go arrest him now!
    Through all of this, I don't think my friend's parents knew what happened until well after the fact. I took off running before they had a chance to come outside, and my friends might not have even been able to tell them because I left so fast. My parents, I'm sure, told them later on but I was a blubbering mess in the immediate aftermath. If they'd listened to me, they probably would've thought my friend blasted me on purpose.

Point being, accidents happen. Kids are stupid. Parents can't watch them every second. Talk to the other parents, figure out what happened, and talk it out from there if you still have issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted