1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me pick my next book(s)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Jul 6, 2006.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I am well aware that there is a book thread. However, I thought maybe some people don't read it, me being one of them, and I might get more advice just making this a new topic. So besides working for this summer I did not have much to do in between my freshman and sophomore year of college. Since I want to be a sports journalist and I have pathetically not read many sports books I thought I would catch up this summer. I have read 5 books so far and they are:

The Teammates by Halberstam- I was given this book for free so I thought I would read it even though I don't much care for the Red Sox. I thought it was a pretty good book, some parts I wasn't a big fan of but overall I liked it.

To Hate Like this is to be Happy Forever by Will Blythe- Being a book about the Carolina-Duke rivalry and about the 2004 national championship team specifically, this was a no brainer for me. Needless to say, with my unabashed bias, I loved it.

The Perfect Mile by Neal Bascomb- This was by far my favorite book of the group. I learned so much about the race to get under 4 minutes first and about running during the middle of the 20th century. I couldn't put this down and finished in about a day and a half.

Caddy for Life by Feinstein- This is the only book I have ever read that made me cry, probably more for the story itself but I will also give a little credit to Feinstein for evoking those emotions. The main thing I didn't like about this book was there was way too much repition, but other than that I enjoyed it.

Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger- I had always heard such glowing remarks about this book that I had to read it. I have to say that it mostly lived up to muy expectations. I read the last about 100 pages mostly straight through.

So based on me being open to any suggestions and the books I have already read, what are some suggestions for the 2-3 books I should buy when I go to Half Price Books/Barnes and Noble today.

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Sound and Fury. By Dave Kindred

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I would highly suggest taking a quick look at the book thread. I've gotten my last 10 books off it.

One of the faviorites is "The Things They Carried," by Tim O'Brien. I just picked it up at a used book store and I find it really captivating.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I had to read the Things they Carried last year as did all freshmen at my college, the author came to speak with us at orientation and I definitely agree that it was interesting.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Five people you meet on the way to Morrie's

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As Farmer J suggested, there are some great ideas over on the book thread. That's where I found out about "Bar Tender)--an absolutely great book.

And don't limit yourself to sports books. Read everything you can.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yea, I was just over there and I think im gonna pick up the book by Kindred and the book about Clemente, because as a Pittsburgher I was raised on stories about his greatness.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Must-Read Books, Sports Division:

Just finished "The Old Ball Game" (by Frank Deford.) Helluva book on the McGraw-Mathewson relationship. Got through it in three days.

Before that, it was "Burying the Black Sox" (by Gene Carney, a friend of mine.) Most authoritative B-Sox work since "Eight Men Out," and it will revolutionize your view of the scandal. What you grew up hearing ... forget all that.

Just picked up "Fever Pitch" (by Nick Hornby.) Very good so far.

As for a must-read recommendation, pick up any old copy of the "Best American Sports Writing" series, doesn't matter which year. It's a keeper.

And agree with the others, read as many non-sports books as you can, too. Knowledge helps you in everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted