1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me not hate my Macbook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Nov 5, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

OK, I went for a Macbook because friends (and people on here) swore by them. I'm also pretty computer illiterate, so it seemed like the easiest to use.

So help me tell me why I shouldn't pitch my five-week-old Mac out the window.

1.) About every fourth or fifth time I try to turn it on, the screen doesn't light up, so I have to hold down the power button to shut it down, wait, then restart it.
    2.) About every third time I turn it on, I get this "this computer had to be restarted after Mac OSX shut down."
    3.) I have to quit firefox and restart it about every five clicks on SportsJournalists.com. VERY much not conducive to the process.

Something I can do to make this computer NOT suck?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

IJAG -

Have you called Apple yet?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Was going to go into the store today if I got ready for work in time. Otherwise, I'm off on Tuesday.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Steps 2 and 3 sound like the OS needs to be reinstalled.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

OK, when I said computer illiterate, I meant it.

How do I reinstall OSX if I never installed it in the first place?

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You need to buy/borrow/acquire/steal an OS X CD, preferably the same version as the OS on the computer.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Isn't that something the Apple store "geniuses" should do for me, since it's obviously Apple's fault my computer hates me?

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Probably, since the computer is 5 weeks old.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

While DyeP's probably right - that it's an OS hang-up - I think IJAG should either a) visit her authorized Apple store and have them handle it, or b) call Apple Care and have them resolve the problem to her satisfaction. This is Apple's responsibility, not hers, and they should do everything possible to make sure she's happy. The box should run right off the shelf.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That's what I wanted to hear, jg. I probably won't make it today (Sundays seem to be busy days at the Apple store, and the line should be long). I'll pop back in there Tuesday.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll help you not hate your Macbook. Unless you don't want to be bored again by my tales of woe with the sack of shit Dell laptop.

I'd trade computers with you so fast you'd think you just got out of bed with me.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

BYH: I've never had a problem with my Dell laptop. Not a single one.

Draft saved Draft deleted