1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me map out a Midwest road trip in the dead of winter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Max Mercy, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

You have a week off in the middle of December. You have a car. You start in Chicago. You want to go on a road trip and find some fun things to do both along the way and at the end. Where do you go?

And by you, I mean me and my wife. We can't figure out where the hell to go, and don't really want to spend the money necessary to fly somewhere warm. We'd probably prefer to drive someplace warm, but there really aren't any within 18 hours, at least. And we only have seven days total, max.

Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Toronto...

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://www.stuckeys.com/search.php

4. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

I thought about that, but is it worth going even colder? Besides the Hockey HOF (which I'd love to see), what else is there in the winter?

Memphis and Nashville worth the trip this time of year? Go all the way to New Orleans, but only have three or four days to stay there? Go skiing at some rinky-dink Midwest "resort"? Some cool wintry national park I don't know about in northern Michigan or Wisconsin or Minnesota?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've always wanted to go to Italy. That's my answer: Italy.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There's lots of theatre happening (besides my show). The Ontario Science Centre is amazing and Niagara Falls is close by. Hard to get hockey tickets here but Buffalo is on the way and games there are a blast.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This place is pretty nice, though I've never been in December... http://www.maumeebayresort.com/

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Memphis would be a good trip. Graceland lights will be lit Nov. 21. Won't be a ton of music in the alleys on Beale, but the music in the bars is still good. So's the food. There are several folks here who could vouch for that, including Inky and myself.

You could hit St. Louis, Memphis, Tunica and maybe even juke your way down to Clarksdale and make a blues trip out of it.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

www.exploreminnesota.com

The Hollidazzle Parade in downtown Minneapolis is pretty cool. Northern Minnesota has many attractions from skiing (Giants Ridge) to Duluth (take in a college hockey game at the DECC) to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth. That's just a microscopic snippet of things to do in Minnesota in December.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Drive down to San Antone and see the parade on the river. Damn sure unique.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Aren't there some indoor water park thingies in Wisconsin Dells?

12. I am now hiring 3Bags as my official travel agent.
    You can even hit Tupelo and do the full Elvis thang.

Draft saved Draft deleted