1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me, I'm turning Southern

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jul 9, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Saying you prefer BBQed chicken is flipping a coin and calling the edge.
    I have friends who won't eat at BBQ places that serve beef, I don't mind brisket, but I won't go near beef ribs.
    Best BBQ meal, for me, burnt tips on a bun, with a scoop of slaw on top of the meat. Sauce on the table and a thick, sweet sauce with beans and french fries (or onion rings) as my sides.
    Of course you really know when you're in the South has BBQ with oddball things like the BBQ pork nachos you can get or this pulled BBQ chicken baked potato covered in cheese and bacon.
    [​IMG]

Southern slang for you, is ya, as in OutKast's "Hey Ya"
    So ya'll is double Southern slang.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

As per the dictionary:
    Brisket -- a cut of meat, especially of beef, taken from an animal's breast

As per ribeye sandwiches:
    No effin' clue

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I like sliced the best.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Save your bacon fat. When the time is right, you'll be told what to do with it. ;)

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

One of my favorite things to do on a long road trip is to pop in a tape of Lewis Grizzard doing stand-up. He epitomizes the South. Love his accent, wit and passion for all things southern.

Grizzard: "I'm a white man and I'm a Southerner. And I'm sick of being told what is wrong with me from outside critics, and I'm tired of being stereotyped as a refugee from 'God's Little Acre'."

----

Boiled peanuts are nasty! Ugh. Wouldn't touch 'em with a 10-foot pole. Oh, those and chitlins.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Best usage of "all y'all":

"I don't care. Fuck all y'all."

I use it daily. :D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Probably not a good thing to say around the VA, since they might take you literally... at least the leader might...

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The South is very underrated. I had a lot of negative connotations of it moving here, but now I love it. As someone said earlier in the thread, the people are so nice it is refreshing.
    I remember the first time interviewing a high school kid and he called me sir and I did a double take. Then I told him I wasn't THAT much older than him and he didn't need to call me sir, he said he couldn't help it, it was just natural.
    Good stuff.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I cannot emphasize this enough about brisket, y'all: meat smoker, beer (or wine) in the pan, fat side up, slow-cooked -- and the thinnest possible slices.

The last one is non-negotiable.

10. I looked it up online and saw something about corned beef brisket. Is that the same as corned beef? I love corned beef, angus pastrami and prosciutto (I probably spelled that wrong.)

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've never made it myself, just eaten it at BBQ joints. Can you buy brisket in the store or do you have to slice it yourself?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You can buy it in any good butcher shop or meat department of a decent grocery store. Just don't slice off the fat until after you've cooked it -- fat-side up, mind you -- lest you cook a God-forbid dry brisket.

Draft saved Draft deleted