1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me get motivated to go back to church

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Aug 27, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Sundays growing up were spent in Roman Catholic churches. I went to Catholic schools for 13 years through high school. I still believe in God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Virgin Mary, etc. But I rarely go to church.

Here's the deal. I've had a hard time getting something out of services. That changed when my wife and I were dating and I went to her church in her hometown, kind of a non-denominational Christian church. Great, great place. Great people, fun services, good music, etc. The minister was a terrific guy, and it was the place we got married at. Now we live too far away to go there regularly.

I know I should go to church every Sunday especially because of my children. I'm not sure if my 3-year-old daughter would know anything about Jesus if it wasn't for "Jesus Christ Superstar." I still attend Catholic services every once in awhile, but I feel empty there. I recite the prayers that I was taught, I think about them, I understand them, but overall, I don't feel like I "get" anything out of the service.

My wife has talked up a local Baptist church, but I've been to a few of those and it's not my cup of tea.

Give some ideas folks. I'm sure there are a lot of good church-going folks out there, and some who were probably even in my shoes.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If there's a Unitarian Universalist denomination in your area, that might be more of your cup of tea.

Obligatory humor link: Unitarian Jihad! :D

3. busuncle

busuncle Member

I'll just chime in that I'm very grateful that I grew up in a non-churchgoing household and I thank my parents that they didn't indoctrinate me in any particular religious belief. My parents are both honest, ethical people and they raised me with strong values without once stepping foot in a church.

I guess I'm just saying that you're free to do what's best for your family, but don't think your daughter is going to be maladjusted in some way if she grows up without churchgoing experience. You can raise a child with strong ethical values without embracing any religious dogma.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Well said.

5. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Applauds ....

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Amen!

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, what he said.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

http://directory.crosswalk.com/directory/Churches/Denominations/default.aspx

Not sure what part of the country you're in, but this link has a directory of different kinds of churches in different places. Maybe one will be what you're looking for. Maybe, at least, they will give you an idea of the denomination that best fits you.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Best church I've ever been in was a non-denomination called Guts Church. It's part of a growing number that attract the people you'd least expect. Motorcycle gangs, guys out of prison, and regular Joes all into one. The preacher speaks from one central church and using the internet, cybercasts the service to the other churches. Nice place.

Unitarian Universalist is a bit out of my realm.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I wish I had an answer, king. I grew up spending Sundays in a Lutheran church, the youth group, acolyte, the whole thing. But once I started living the night shift, quite simply, I could not stay awake through church services. It was that simple.

Frankly, I wish we would have taken our daughter to church on a regular basis. But it didn't work out that way.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I hear you shot about night shifts. Last night, I didn't get home until 2 a.m. It was a cloudy morning, a little rain, and perfect to sleep in. Lazy, I know, but now that football is underway, I'm not getting home until at least 1 a.m., even later if I'm on the road.

I know I don't have to take my kids to church for them to be good kids. But I also believe there's something after this life (heaven, hell, purgatory, etc.), and God forbid something happens to any of us, especially them, I don't know if they're "prepared."

Draft saved Draft deleted