1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help is on the way

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not in Southern California. But in New York it would be mandatory.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Illegal drugs or prostitutes, perhaps. That way, it all stays in the private sector and none of it goes back to the government in taxes.

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Some retailers are offering programs that bump up the value if spent with them:

www.startribune.com/local/18173769.html

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I think we all ought to keep it. Put it toward bills, fine, but if you can, stick it in your mattress. This is just what these idiots think we'll do. Hell, in an odd sort of way, Congress just voted themselves raises and of course, we all know that a little spending money for those people mean hookers.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Were you to say this to me in the real world, I'd probably blush at the idea of being remotely confrontational with a woman, then immediately drop to the ground and start kissing your toes because I'd be so overjoyed a woman would talk to me for any reason. But since it's teh Intrawebs and I can prop up the facade of being a fully-functional person for the purposes of a bulletin board conversation ...

Isn't that sort of a dickish/twatish/othergenetaliaish move? I mean fine, you don't like Bush, and few do. But stimulating the economy should help those around you. That's not a bad thing, I wouldn't think. And it's not like putting the money into play is going to lead to an ironclad-contract that makes you slavishly devoted to GOP candidates for the next five years1. And heaven knows that if President Obama or Clinton were to create a similar package and old tony or zagoshie or one of the other arch-conservatives in our midst were to proclaim they were witholding it as a political statement, they'd get pretty well excoriated.

On the other hand, it does make for a unique rage against the machine. FUCK THE RULING PARTY, I'M PUTTING YOUR MONEY IN A CD!!!!!!!!!!11

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Cell phone, $50, average income $100,000? These people are as out of touch as the government.

But judging from the reax on this thread, most people do know that debt has to be paid. If only the bastards in Washington knew that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Why is that "odd"? Gas goes for central heat (and stove), electric goes for power/lights (and A/C, if applicable). I have to pay those every month. Not sure what your point is. ???

Can't dispute any of the other points you made, though. $150/mth for clothes? $250/mth for household repairs? $500/mth for entertainment? $50/mth for dry cleaning? Jesus, if you're in the red every month, cut back on the stupid shit.

$125/mth for "work lunch"? Make a fucking sandwich. ::)

I have no sympathy for the idiots out there.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To be fair, the party in power has little to do with the shitty way you're being treated at work. I don't think even Johnny Newspaperseed (omg, obscure Simpsons reference!) can save us now.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Webby ain't got no power — just a fancy-ass bowling ball.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Owie. That sounds gross and painful. Yeah, I'd recommend people run from you right now (I would not, and in the interest of a tranqil planet, I'd let you beat me up if it meant others might live; I'm willing to dive on that grenade, at least while I'm still buzzing)

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Brain fart. Having lived in nothing but all-electric, I'm used to thinking in terms of one source.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm all-electric, and I have to keep the thermostat at 60º, lest I get a $350 electric bill.

On the other hand, I can run my AC on full blast in the summer and rarely get a bill more than $200.

Electric heat sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted